Vietnamese man to be freed soon from his 90-kilo tumorJanuary 5th, 2012 - 10:06 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Ho Chi Minh City, Jan 5 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A Vietnamese man is looking forward to be freed from a 90kg tumor on his right leg. With part of his right leg already amputated, Nguyen Duy Hai’s only hope of becoming free lies in the hand and experience of American surgeon McKay McKinnon.
Renowned for removing large tumors in his 30-year career, doctor McKay will carry out a 10-hour procedure at the France-Vietnam hospital in the capital. This will be the second time that such a procedure will be attempted on Nguyen.
Back in 1997, doctors tried unsuccessfully to remove the tumor. The procedure led to Nguyen’s right leg being amputated below the knee. Doctors say the condition has improved but having to walk around with a tumor which is apparently heavier than your body can be quite a burden.
Nguyen is positive going into the theater room. In a chat with local reporters, the 31-year-old said that, “It’s common for people to fear death, and I’m no exception. But when I heard Dr McKinnon had decided to come back to Vietnam one more time to give me a new life, I became more hopeful.”
It is estimated that Nguyen’s tumor is the biggest in Vietnam.
- Vietnamese man opens plane's emergency exit on runway - Nov 07, 2011
- With China on mind, Krishna heads to Vietnam - Sep 13, 2011
- Rights group urges Vietnam to release jailed blogger - Aug 11, 2011
- Vietnamese ear picking gives most "ear-gasms" - Jan 25, 2011
- Vietnam, India mark 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations - Jan 05, 2012
- Commonwealth appoints special envoy to Maldives - Mar 02, 2012
- Boy grows his leg by turning screws - Nov 07, 2010
- Indo-US chemistry, the Americanised Vietnam (Vietnam Diary) - Oct 30, 2010
- Fast food fuelling diabetes epidemic in Asia: Experts - Jul 09, 2010
- India to help Vietnam enhance, upgrade its armed forces - Oct 13, 2010
- A first in 15 years: Indian Army chief to visit Vietnam (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Etihad Airways to fly daily to Vietnam - Jul 22, 2012
- Zsa Zsa Gabor does not know her leg has been amputated - Jan 17, 2011
- Company fined $100,000 for improper home insulation - Feb 04, 2011
- Olympic badminton: Kashyap beats World No.11 to enter pre-quarters (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012