Termites eat away 10 million Indian rupees kept in a bankApril 25th, 2011 - 9:56 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New Delhi, April 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The State Bank of India has lost 10 million rupees to termites. The insects ate the money which was kept in the vault at the bank. It is not clear how the creatures managed to get into the steel safe but the bank has acknowledged responsibility for the incident.
The incident took place at the branch of the bank located in the northern part of the country. The local police at the Indian town of Arthur where the incident happened have commenced investigation into the incident. At the center of the investigation is how the insects got into the safe and destroyed so much currency notes without anyone realizing it in time.
The damaged notes were discovered on the 19th of April by the officials of the bank. The manager of the bank revealed that termites have been a problem for the bank because it is housed in a wooden structure.
The general manager of the bank, Abhay Singh, assured the public that since the bank has accepted full responsibility of the mishap, the losses will not be extended to the public. The police investigation into the incident continues.
- Termites eat through 32,000 pounds in cash - Jun 28, 2012
- Termites eat up currency worth Rs.1 crore - Apr 21, 2011
- RBI moves against fake currency deposit - Feb 15, 2012
- Rupee notes come floating in Guwahati! - Jun 25, 2012
- Thieves in Moscow replace $700,000 with fakes - Dec 27, 2011
- Indian teacher shocked by his $10 billion bank balance - Jan 19, 2012
- RBI detects fake Indian notes in office - Oct 01, 2011
- Minor helps Delhi Police to solve murder mystery - Jul 26, 2012
- ATM with Rs.10 lakh gutted in Ghaziabad - May 17, 2012
- Floating currency notes: Youth drowns in Assam water body - Jun 26, 2012
- New 'wet feet' repellent may make cockroaches history - Oct 13, 2009
- Fake currency unit busted in Bihar - Apr 26, 2011
- Worker ants can kill termites - Dec 15, 2011
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- Survey says that bedbug problem in US is pervasive - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: 10 million, abhay, bank of india, creatures, currency notes, indian rupees, insects, losses, mishap, money, New Delhi, police investigation, state bank, state bank of india, termites, town of arthur, vault, wooden structure