Sri Lankan caught smuggling over 2,000 diamonds in swallowed condomsOctober 28th, 2010 - 11:54 pm ICT by BNO News
CHENNAI, INDIA (BNO NEWS) – A Sri Lankan Man, who had swallowed 2,060 diamonds worth up to Rs. 3 crore ($674,715 dollars) packed in several condoms, was arrested at an airport on Tuesday, local media reported Thursday.
Mohammed Shakif, 43, of Galle, Sri Lanka, was smuggling the precious stones in 42 condoms and had just arrived in Chennai, located in the southern region of India, when a team of suburban police acting on a tip off inquired him. According to the police the precious stones were worth between Rs. 1.5 crore ($337,357 dollars) and Rs. 3 crore ($674,715 dollars).
Shakif initially refused to answer, but he was taken to the police station and later to Chromepet Government Hospital at Guindy where an x-ray of his stomach was taken. The results forced Shakif to confess that he had been hired to smuggle the stones.
“Even during questioning, he could not sit comfortably and when questioned, he told the police that he was suffering from piles,” said Suburban Police commissioner, SR Jangid.
Security officials proceeded by giving Shakif bananas. The diamonds were then collected.
“He had previously smuggled in three occasions in a similar manner and was caught this time,” said Jangid, who explained that according to police sources, Shakif would take Rs 10,000 ($224 dollars) as commission each time.
“We got a tip off that he would be about 40 years old and has a gap between his two front teeth. We waited at the immigration check and nabbed him as he was about to get into a taxi,” Jangid added.
- Jewellery shop burgled in Tamil Nadu town - Feb 22, 2012
- Banned wood found at former legislator's house - Sep 04, 2012
- A Nano car worth Rs.22 crore - Sep 19, 2011
- India to share 10 percent of Forevermark global sales - Jul 21, 2012
- Three held with drugs worth Rs.40 crore - Jul 10, 2011
- Four arrested with Rs.5 crore antique Buddha idol - Mar 23, 2011
- Three drug traffickers held - Jul 11, 2011
- Smuggler arrested with 14 kg heroin in Punjab - Jan 11, 2011
- Kerala temple could well be the richest in country - Jul 02, 2011
- Lukewarm response to shutdown in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Jeweller held for selling sub-standard gems - Oct 15, 2011
- Two held for smuggling of antique idols - Sep 10, 2011
- Two arrested with Rs.2 crore antique idol - Aug 02, 2011
- Rs.200,000 counterfeit currency found, one held - May 24, 2011
- Thieves steal diamonds at Swiss Fair - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: bananas, bno, condoms, crore, galle sri lanka, gap, government hospital, jangid, local media, mohammed, piles, police commissioner, police sources, police station, precious stones, rs 1, security officials, sri lankan, two front teeth, x ray