Smoking kills: Miami man killed for cigaretteMay 10th, 2010 - 6:18 pm ICT by admin
By Michael van Poppel
MIAMI, FLORIDA (THAINDIAN NEWS) — A man was killed over a cigarette last week as he walked to a night club in Miami, Florida with a friend, authorities said. A suspect, who had fled the scene after the murder, was taken into custody several days later.
26-year-old Linsey Oliveira of Boca Raton died at Miami’s Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center on early Monday after he was attacked near Northeast Second Avenue and Northeast Ninth Street.
According to police, Oliveira and a friend were approached by a man as they walked to a nearby night club. Oliveira had come to visit Miami with friends, simply to have a good time. The man asked them for a cigarette but punched Oliveira to the ground when he said they had no cigarettes with them. The attacker had hit Oliveira’s head unexpectedly with a single, violent punch, causing him to crash to the sidewalk. The attacker then fled the scene.
Several days later, police arrested 35-year-old Sosthene Louis and charged him with second-degree murder in connection with the violent crime.
Local media reported that Oliveira’s family was devastated with his violent death, which caused outrage among locals. “If he had [a cigarette], he would have given it to the guy,” Carlos Oliveira, the victim’s brother, told WPLG-TV in Miami. “Everything he had, he would give to anybody — money, personal things. He wasn’t attached to anything.”
The relatives said the only comfort they now have is that Oliveira lived his 26 years to the fullest, loving life mroe than he loved material things. “He borught love to everybody that knew him,” Carlos added. “He lived every day like it was his last day. That’s what he used to say all the time.”
Locals reacted with shock to the murder over a cigarette. “Life has so little meaning to some people,” one person said. “It’s very sad. I feel bad for kids having to grow up in this sick world. My heart goes out to this family for such a senseless act.”
Anyone with information is asked to call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS (8477).
- Man Killed For Refusing Cigarette - May 10, 2010
- Florida Man Killed For Not Supplying A Cigarette - May 10, 2010
- 'Swamp People' star Trapper Joe arrested for assault and battery - Jun 22, 2012
- Estefano relives shooting in a song - Jun 12, 2012
- A huge 750 pound shark caught in Florida - Oct 11, 2009
- Court orders Brazilian magnate's arrest - Dec 17, 2010
- Two Miami police officers killed while serving warrant - Jan 21, 2011
- Florida teenager survives harpoon through head - Jun 20, 2012
- Selena Gomes Find Justin Bieber A Good Kid And Wants To Protect Him! - Dec 20, 2010
- South African-born England all-rounder Basil D'Oliveira dead - Nov 19, 2011
- US woman arrested in murder case says she's a vampire - Sep 29, 2011
- Miami face-eating cannibal Rudy Eugene said "I'm going to kill you" to the heavyweight boxer Melton Bowen - Jun 04, 2012
- Trayvon Martin shooter charged with second-degree murder - Apr 12, 2012
- Timothy Bradley Maintains Clean Slate - Jul 18, 2010
- South Florida Beats Miami Hurricanes In Overtime - Nov 28, 2010
Tags: attacker, boca raton, cigarette, early monday, jackson memorial hospital, linsey, local media, loving life, material things, miami florida, mroe, night club, personal things, ryder trauma center, second avenue, second degree murder, senseless act, sick world, van poppel, violent death