Serial shopping trolley thief finally caughtDecember 2nd, 2011 - 8:46 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Madrid, Dec 2 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Spanish officials say they have taken a man who stole thousands of shopping trolleys to custody. The man had been on the radar of the police for some time and they caught him when he was tracked with a GPS system located in some of the trolleys that he stole.
The Madrid police issued a statement saying the man stole nearly $400,000 worth of sopping trolleys. They explained that he sold the trolleys as metal scraps. He is suspected to have stolen at least three thousand trolleys from various supermarkets in Madrid this year alone. Officials too action when they started receiving unusually high complaints of trolley thefts.
Attaching several GPS systems on randomly selected trolleys, the officials were finally able to arrest the 37-year-old suspect who was only identified as Juan Antonio R.C.
The police said “A GPS positioned on one of the trolleys chosen at random alerted us to its departure from the premises of the establishment and led officers to the suspect… It was clearly a lifestyle for him. He did it every day, as a full-time profession.”
The police believe the man made it a point to stole at least two trolleys each day. Each trolley cost the supermarkets between $100 and $300.
- Rose Devlin & Denise Egan's theft attempt goes wrong - Nov 23, 2011
- Man steals Rs.10 lakh from Delhi office, held - Aug 06, 2012
- Stolen forklift used to rob ATM - Apr 06, 2011
- Cases of Sheep rustling are on the rise - Oct 04, 2011
- Picasso drawing thief arrested - Jul 08, 2011
- Largest ID theft ring in US history cracked - Oct 08, 2011
- Lucknow family holds thief captive for two days - Nov 05, 2010
- Picasso drawing stolen from SF art gallery - Jul 07, 2011
- Sri Lanka's national museum to be re-opened after theft - Apr 17, 2012
- Fake doctor arrested for stealing mobile phones - Aug 12, 2012
- British man arrested for theft in Goa - Aug 12, 2012
- Man involved in 250 CNG car kit thefts held - Feb 21, 2011
- Man in jail after one night stand - Apr 05, 2012
- Man arrested for hacking Facebook accounts - Apr 22, 2011
- Relics of 13th century hero stolen in Russia - Aug 30, 2012