Seattle school names Easter eggs as ‘Spring spheres’April 15th, 2011 - 1:02 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Seattle, April 14 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A school in Seattle which has not yet been named has reportedly told a student that she can only bring Easter eggs to the school if she chooses another name for it. The news was first broken by 97.3 KIRO FM. In an interview with the student, she said she wanted a permission to send the treat to her classmates.
The 16-year-old told the radio station that when she asked her teacher about bringing the treat to the school, the teacher consulted the school authorities who made it clear that the treat can only be brought to the school if it is called “spring spheres.”
Since the story went public, several emails have been sent to the Seattle School District. This has forced the school board to address the issue on its website. The website said the district maintains neutral stand when it comes to matters of religion. The authorities explained that the district’s policy regarding religion and religious holidays are that they are not promoted in the various schools. The policy also states that no religion should be disparaged in any of the schools.
The website said the policy is part of the “Religion and Religious Accommodation” policy which was approved by the School Board back in 1983.
- US teacher accused of having sex with teen student - Mar 23, 2011
- Three Tamil Nadu teachers held for beating student (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Hindus want Diwali as holiday in West Windsor-Plainsboro School District in New Jersey - Apr 30, 2011
- Bengal student kills herself after being punished - Jul 27, 2012
- Seattle Public Schools To Remain Closed Today - Nov 23, 2010
- South Brunswick School District in USA declares Diwali as holiday - Dec 29, 2010
- Pakistani schools portray Hindus, minorities negatively: US study - Nov 10, 2011
- In twilight years, teachers get 'gurudakshina' of love - Jan 27, 2012
- Three Tamil Nadu teachers suspended for beating student - Jul 21, 2012
- Chinese teen ends life over violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Teacher suspended for making students slap each other - Dec 19, 2011
- Three students caned over 300 times for not doing homework - May 20, 2011
- Plant a sapling in name of school topper, says teacher - Jun 16, 2011
- Facebook comments leave 16 Chandigarh students suspended - Oct 07, 2010
- Chennai student kills teacher for complaining to parents (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2012