Ryanair trests cardiac arrest passenger with a sandwichAugust 5th, 2011 - 8:25 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
A Swedish family is demanding apology from Ryanair regarding the way the airline handled a member of the family when he had a cardiac arrest. Under the EU laws, flight attendants are required to know how to administer first aid.
During a trip from England to Sweden, Billie Appleton who is a nurse said her stepfather had a cardiac arrest. When her mother called the flight attendants and told them about the situation, they suggested that the 63-year-old had a low blood pressure so they offered him soda and sandwich which the family was made to pay for.
When Ryanair was contacted, a spokesperson of the airline confirmed the story and said the staff handled the event in line with the policy of the airline. The spokesperson further said an ambulance was arranged for the patient at the destination airport.
The spokesperson was quoted in local media as saying that, “In line with procedures for such cases a Ryanair cabin crew suggested a diversion to the nearest airport or to have an ambulance on stand-by on arrival at Skavsta, so that the passenger could receive medical treatment.”
The family has denied the story of Ryanair saying there was no ambulance when they got to Skavsta.
- Airline flies man to Sweden instead of France - Jun 30, 2012
- New Zealand plane returns after smoke alert in cabin - Nov 29, 2010
- Bees on a Yakutia Airline flight to Moscow creates panic - Aug 24, 2011
- RyanAir hostesses 'strip off' for charity - Nov 10, 2010
- Sack airline boss to cut costs, says pilot - Sep 15, 2010
- Furious Ryanair passengers stage plane sit-in - Nov 18, 2010
- Air passengers enter Britain without passport checks - Sep 15, 2010
- Ryanair fined millions for lack of aid to stranded passengers - May 16, 2010
- Travel companies go back to risque adverts to boost sales - Oct 14, 2010
- At least 21 people injured on Vietnam Airlines flight to Paris - Oct 20, 2010
- Delhi Metro instals equipment to handle cardiac arrests - Feb 23, 2012
- Europe cancels 250 flights over volcanic ash (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Pilots 'almost pass out' after taking off - Jan 09, 2012
- Death at Guwahati airport raises questions on facilities - Jun 16, 2012
- Ryanair's Toilet Fee Raises an Eyebrow - Apr 10, 2010
Tags: ambulance, apology, appleton, cabin crew, cardiac arrest, destination airport, diversion, first aid, flight attendants, local media, low blood pressure, medical treatment, member of the family, nearest airport, ryanair, sandwich, skavsta, spokesperson, stepfather, swedish family