Russian prisoners get tanning bedsJanuary 20th, 2011 - 11:14 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Moscow, Jan 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Inmates in a Russian jail have been giving the rare chance to live a luxurious life behind bars.
The prison officials at the Butyrskaya Prison in Moscow have decided that as part of the prison’s 240-year anniversary, the prison will acquire tanning beds for the facility. Every inmate is welcomed to enjoy the rare luxury, if the person can pay the required 10 rubles per minute fee.
The officials defended their decision to get the beds to the facility. They explained that the sunlight at the prison is not enough and they believe that the tanning bed is most required at the facility.
The ITAR-Tass news agency reported that a spokesman for the Russian Federal Prison Service confirmed the prison’s decision for the beds.
The prison is trying to carve a new outlook for itself after it was caught in controversy following the death of a young lawyer in the facility in 2009. The death of Sergei Magnitsky sparked widespread criticism of the facility. Sergei died of pancreas disease and critics believe that it was due to the fact that the facility did not give him the needed medical attention.
- Russian prison to install sunbeds to improve the health of their inmates - Nov 11, 2010
- Moscow Prison to Install Sunbeds for Inmates - Nov 10, 2010
- Russian billionaire Prokhorov to challenge Putin in presidential race - Dec 12, 2011
- Putin test drives Europe's cheapest car - May 12, 2011
- Russian man goes on stabbing spree in Moscow - Dec 10, 2011
- Five killed as Russian plane makes emergency landing - Jul 11, 2011
- Infamous 'Butyrka' Prison In Russia To Install Sunbeds For Enhancement Of Its Inmates' Robustness - Nov 10, 2010
- Russia launches manned spacecraft to ISS - Nov 14, 2011
- Russia launches military communication satellite - May 05, 2011
- Russia begins lifting sunken ship from Volga - Jul 22, 2011
- Putin orders probe into improper flood warning - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia makes list of 'undesirable' US officials - Oct 23, 2011
- Military strike against Iran would be a mistake: Russia - Nov 07, 2011
- Russia seeks spy swap to free agents in US - Jul 08, 2010
- Spy swap talk grows (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 08, 2010
Tags: federal prison, itar tass news, itar tass news agency, life behind bars, luxurious life, medical attention, new outlook, pancreas, pancreas disease, prison officials, prison service, rare chance, rare luxury, rubles, russian prisoners, s 240, tanning bed, tanning beds, tass news agency, young lawyer