Rachel Yoder killed by stray bullet fired 1.5 miles awayDecember 21st, 2011 - 9:47 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Ohio, Dec 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A stray bullet fired about 1.5 miles away claimed the life of a 15-year-old Amish girl. The incident happened on Thursday when a man was cleaning his gun.
Police say the man inadvertently fired the gun into the air and the returning bullet killed Rachel Yoder who was then riding a horse. Officials say she was riding between Columbus and Akron when the bullet struck her. She had attended a party for Amish farm workers that day.
The man who fired the gun has reportedly contacted the police and they are currently carrying out ballistics test to determine if the bullet was indeed fired by the man. Residents have confirmed to the police that the heard the sound of the gun around the same time that Yoder was shot.
Holmes County Sheriff Timothy Zimmerly’s initial assessment is that the incident is an accident. The police have currently filed no charges against the man. Yoder’s death was initially ruled as a homicide but the police say they have contacted her family that it might be an accident.
Zimmerly said that, “Obviously, that makes them feel a lot better than if someone might have been targeting the Amish or (if it was) a random shooting murder.”
- Ohio Boy Accused Of Shooting His Mother - Jan 04, 2011
- Stray bullet kills man after Eid prayers in Turkey - Aug 20, 2012
- Scotland Yard to be sued over cabbie's killing? - Aug 10, 2011
- 10-year-old killed in celebratory firing (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- 10-year-old shot dead in celebratory firing in UP - Jul 17, 2012
- Three, including ANP activist killed in Pakistan - Mar 28, 2011
- Police : Vt. Farmer crushed cops cars with tractors - Aug 03, 2012
- Daniel McDaniels Shoots His Own Face While Loading Rifle Own - Oct 05, 2010
- Orissa cop's two guards jailed for his murder - Mar 29, 2011
- Bullet hits White House window - Nov 17, 2011
- Police await forensic reports on Jakhar's death - Jan 19, 2011
- Gurdwara gunshots heard in phone calls for help - Aug 16, 2012
- Ghaziabad chain snatcher shoots himself while fleeing - Mar 18, 2012
- Woodland manager gunned down outside Ghaziabad home - Jul 20, 2012
- White House shooting suspect arrested (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011