Post office boss Amritpal Mehat pretended to be dumb to escape punishment for theftJuly 12th, 2012 - 9:22 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Manchester, July 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Post office boss Amritpal Mehat pretended to be dumb for over a year, in order to escape punishment for theft.
He had been arrested 3 years ago for emblazing funds around 400,000 pounds from his office. He used another employee’s log to play around with the accounts and steal away more than 400,000 pounds.
After Amriptal was arrested he pretended to be mentally unstable and he also pretended to be struck dumb suddenly as an act of God. He also claimed to the authorities that since he was dumb and mentally unstable so he shouldn’t be sent to prison. The judge sent him for mental examinations and Amritpal played out his dumb act perfectly by remaining mute through out the consultations.
However the authorities weren’t convinced that he indeed was mute. So they tried to trap him with a trick that had first been used in the movie ‘The Great Escape’. Since Amritpal is a punjabi by roots, so a psychiatrist said “Good Luck” to him in his native tongue – Punjabi.
Amritpal was so rattled when he heard the Punjabi dialect that he replied back and hence exposed his dumb act. Subsequently the judge sentenced him to four years behind bars at the Minshull Street Crown Court, Manchester after he admitted that he had indeed stolen the money.
- Fugitive held in Britain after framing his wanted poster - Apr 22, 2012
- Girl's letter to judge saves mother from jail - Feb 22, 2012
- Youth goes on shooting spree, injures two - May 09, 2011
- Yorkshire Ripper to die in jail after losing appeal against life sentence - Jan 15, 2011
- Deaf-mute can be credible witness: Apex court (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Dumb thieves forgot to put petrol in car! - Nov 22, 2011
- Deaf-mute jailed for sex attacks in China - Sep 28, 2011
- Maldives president quits after protests (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Rebirth of children's film society - Nov 19, 2011
- Sharon Stone wins restraining order against stalker - Mar 11, 2011
- Police hunt for man who compares himself to Norway attacker - Jul 27, 2011
- Blind Chinese activist fled under moonless sky - Apr 28, 2012
- Deaf-mute athlete raped in Bengal, attacker arrested - Jun 26, 2012
- Why Pakistanis still in jail if sentence over: Apex court (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Man jailed for two years for kidnapping dog - Jun 11, 2011
Tags: 3 years, act of god, authorities, consultations, dialect, good luck, great escape, minshull street crown court, money, native tongue, news post, office boss, post office, psychiatrist, punjabi, roots