Police on the lookout for underwear escapeeJanuary 12th, 2012 - 11:08 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Tokyo, Jan 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A man sentenced to 23 years in a Japanese prison for attempted murder has escaped in only his underpants. Local news agencies say Li Guolin used a scaffold erected inside the prison wall to scale the fence.
Law enforcement officers are currently on the lookout to track him down. Kyodo news agency reported that Guolin was exercising on Thursday morning when he stripped from his prison wear and escaped only in his underwear. The incident happened at a prison facility in Hiroshima.
This is the first time that a prisoner has escaped from a Japanese jail in more than 20 years. The last time that such an incident happened was in 1990 when a youth escaped from detention.
News agencies throughout Japan are carrying the story because of the rarity of prison break in the country. Some residents in Hiroshima says they are living in fear following the incident. The police have listed 40-year-old Goulin among the most wanted people in the country.
A prison official was quoted by local media as saying that, “We are really sorry.”
Goulin is a Chinese national. He has been in jail since 2005 when he was convicted of attempted murder. He broke into the home and later shot at a law enforcement officer.
- Five prisoners break free in Pakistan - Aug 01, 2012
- The World's nicest prison is located in Bastoy - May 25, 2012
- Myanmar releases AFP journalist after sneaking into country - Nov 09, 2010
- 85 prisoners escape from Mexico jail - Sep 11, 2010
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- 14 undertrials escape from Rajasthan jail - Dec 09, 2011
- Pakistani daily rues lack of coordination to fight terror - Jul 13, 2012
- Pakistani jailbreak: senior officials transferred - Apr 17, 2012
- Manhunt launched after 8 escape from Haryana jail - Jan 18, 2012
- 41 guards arrested over Mexico prison escape - Dec 22, 2010
- Japanese gov't says blast rocks nuclear power plant, causes radiation leak - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan removes Ambassador to Croatia after sex scandal - Dec 10, 2011
- Jail attack sign of Taliban's strength: daily - Apr 16, 2012
- Minivan runs over group of pedestrians in Japan, killing 7 - Apr 13, 2012
- Japanese teacher gets poor marks for deadly maths exercise - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: 23 years, attempted murder, fence law, hiroshima, kyodo news agency, last time, law enforcement officer, law enforcement officers, living in fear, local media, lookout, news agencies, prison break, prison facility, prison official, prison wall, rarity, scaffold, thursday morning, underwear