Piranhas attack beach-goers in BrazilSeptember 27th, 2011 - 8:24 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Rio de Janeiro, Sept 27 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Dozens of beach-goers in Brazil were taken to the hospital and treated for various injuries when they were attacked by several piranhas in the last couple of months. The population of the flesh-eating fish is growing in the country and authorities say that might have caused the animals to add humans to their regular preys.
Officials have advised beach-lovers to wear protective gears before they go into the water. Piranhas do not often attack humans and they avoid coming to the shallow waters of the beach but scientists say declining food in their natural habitat has forced the animals to the beach.
The last incident happened in the coastal region of Piaui over the weekend. The region is home to high concentration of piranhas. The victims were treated at a local hospital and discharged.
A local government official explained to the local media that the piranhas attacked “because [they] do not have any natural animals they attack people at the beach.”
The incident brings to live the movie Piranha 3-D which featured flesh eating piranhas.
Authorities plan to introduce tilapias to the local food chain and they hope that it will help to bring the attack which has been going on for about two months down.
- Piranha attack in China leads hunt for fish - Jul 12, 2012
- Piranhas attack bathers in Brazil - Feb 22, 2012
- Flesh-eating piranhas found in Greece river - Aug 09, 2012
- Bolivian teen killed in piranha attack - Dec 07, 2011
- David Hasselhoff shoots for 'Piranha 3DD' - May 12, 2011
- Flesh-eating bacteria victim Aimee Copeland speaks for first time since her hospitalization - May 30, 2012
- Stranded whale put down in Cornwall - Aug 14, 2012
- Bathers attacked by carnivorous fish in Brazil - Feb 21, 2012
- Piranhas: aquatic killers that also bark - Oct 13, 2011
- 'Flying donkey' in Russia dies of heart attack - Feb 06, 2011
- Flesh-eating bacteria victim Aimee Copeland finally agrees to painkillers following skin graft surgery - Jun 19, 2012
- Dogs aren't the only best friends of man - Jan 04, 2011
- Surfer Stephen King has a lucky escape from shark attack - Dec 12, 2011
- Gene mutation protects people from flesh-eating disease - Dec 30, 2009
- Jeremy Wade Finds Croc-Eating Tiger Fish Piranha - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: attack humans, beach goers, beach lovers, brazil rio, coastal region, flesh eating fish, food chain, gears, government official, local food, local hospital, local media, natural animals, natural habitat, news dozens, piaui, piranha, rio de janeiro, sept 27, shallow waters