Peacock escapes from Central Park zooAugust 3rd, 2011 - 7:57 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York City, Aug 3 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Officials at NYC’s Central Zoo are waiting for an escaped peacock to return to its enclosure. The colorful bird does not pose any danger to the public, the zoo officials announced in a statement later. The incident happened on Tuesday and officials say they later found it perched on a window at a neighborhood.
Onlookers took pictures of the bird on the window and posted it on Twitter. A witness who saw the animal told the New York Daily News that, “It’s fun to have a fabulous bird escape on to Fifth Avenue. It’s a sophisticated bird. I can’t wait until they name it and there are t-shirts.”
Several people were at the scene to watch the bird as it stood on the window. The zoo says they will recapture the animal if it fails to fly back into the zoo.
This is not the first time that a peacock has escaped from a zoo in New York City. Last May, the female counterpart of peacock, peahen, escaped from the Bronx zoo but it was later captured.
In March, there was another escape from the Central Zoo involving a cobra. The animal did not harm anyone.
- Egyptian cobra escapes from Bronx zoo - Mar 29, 2011
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- Bronx Zoo name their missing cobra as Mia - Apr 08, 2011
- 8 peacocks succumb to heat stroke in Aravalli village - Jun 11, 2012
- Chimpanzee asks people to free him at Wales Zoo - Aug 03, 2012
- More peacocks die of heat in Aravalli - Jun 12, 2012
- Silver Pheasant's sex change stuns zoo - Apr 05, 2012
- Four arrested for poaching peacocks in Rajasthan - Jun 17, 2012
- Bihar village dreams big for its peacocks! - May 15, 2012
- Tiger mauls zookeeper in Chile - Jul 31, 2012
- Wolves kill zoo keeper at Swedish zoo - Jun 18, 2012
- Three lion cubs die at Chhattisgarh zoo - Aug 03, 2012
- Seven dead in New York accident - Apr 30, 2012
- Maharashtra governor welcomes peacock trophy (With images) - Jul 02, 2012
- Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animals - May 16, 2011
Tags: bronx zoo, central park, central park zoo, cobra, colorful bird, escapes, fabulous bird, female counterpart, fifth avenue, fly, neighborhood, new york city, new york daily news, onlookers, peacock, s central, witness, york daily news, zoo officials