Paralysed cyclist cured by bike crashNovember 25th, 2011 - 7:40 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Amsterdam, Nov 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Doctors in the Netherlands and indeed around the world are baffled after a paralyzed cyclist started walking again after a bike crash. The story of 27-year-old Monique van der Vorst is as shocking as it is miraculous.
Left paralyzed for about 13 years now, van der Vorst turned to Paralympics and represents her country, Netherlands, at the games. She has won two silver medals in the cycling section of the game for the country over the years. She was left paralyzed after a routine ankle surgery went bad when she was just 13 years. Things got worse when she was hit by a car and left with spinal injury in 2008. The accident left her completely paralyzed from the waist down.
Van der Vorst reported feeling tingling sensation in her legs after being knocked down by another car while she was riding her bike last year. She has since made full recovery and is planning to take part in the Olympic cycling in 2016. She has already been handed a place in the 11 top women’s professional team.
Excited, van der Vorst said that, “It is wonderful to walk again, the whole world has another perspective when you can stand up. I really enjoy every minute that I am walking.”
- Cycling to work? Growing movement to tackle mobility crisis (Feature) - Mar 25, 2012
- Aaron Denham wakes up from coma & makes a miraculous recovery - Aug 22, 2011
- Sydney is world's most hostile city for cycling - Mar 13, 2010
- Bulgaria stun the Netherlands with win in Amsterdam friendly - May 27, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Drinking with parents induces teens to drink outside too - Jan 28, 2010
- Netherlands defeat Slovakia in Rotterdam friendly - May 31, 2012
- Netherlands crush Northern Ireland 6-0 - Jun 03, 2012
- Joran van der Sloot admits extortion of Holloway family - Sep 06, 2010
- Dad cycles across six nations to see daughter graduate - Jul 25, 2012
- Health benefits associated with urban cycling outweigh risks - Jul 04, 2010
- Deepa Malik: Aiming high from the wheelchair (With image) - Mar 09, 2011
- Netherland apologises for scribe's Berlusconi remark - Oct 15, 2011
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Aruban prosecutors say new Natalee Holloway confession is wrong on essential parts - Mar 02, 2010
Tags: 13 years, amsterdam, ankle surgery, bike crash, country netherlands, doctors, game, games, legs, paralympics, perspective, professional team, silver medals, tingling sensation, top women, van der vorst, waist down