Obama fried chicken forced to change nameOctober 11th, 2011 - 12:13 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Beijing, Oct 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An eatery in Beijing has been forced to change its name after the American fried chicken giant Kentucky Fried Chicken threatened to sue. Three Chinese university students set up the eatery and named it Obama Fried Chicken (OFC.)
That name along with the logo looked strikingly similar to the famous American franchise and KFC threatened to take the issue to court for copyright infringement. The owners have subsequently changed the name of the restaurant to UFO but the logo remains unchanged.
A spokesperson of KFC said that, “We’re considering legal action as it is a knock-off and has nothing to do with us and it infringes on our brand trademark. We find it distasteful.”
The restaurant was opened by Zhu Baolai and two of his colleagues. The trio says the restaurant is needed to pay for their tuition. The logo they chose is the image of President Obama with the iconic bowtie and the suspenders just like KFC’s logo which features Colonel Sanders.
KFC incurred the displeasure of the black community with a television commercial in Australia. In the advert, a white man managed to overcome a group of black men when he offered them chicken.
- KFC to Offer $20,000 for Best Tweet - Nov 18, 2010
- Flavor Flav Fried Chicken opens next to KFC in Iowa - Jan 25, 2011
- KFC's 'Double Down' burger to be sold in New Zealand - May 10, 2011
- KFC eyes 500 restaurants in India by 2015 - Dec 18, 2011
- US commentators label Oz KFC ad 'racist' - Jan 06, 2010
- FBI spied on Beatles, Michael Jackson, even KFC boss - Apr 14, 2011
- Live chicken thrown at KFC staff in a Nuneaton restaurant - Jan 21, 2011
- Eateries named 'Obama Fried Chicken' has New Yorkers protesting - Apr 04, 2009
- Dubai fast food chain comes to Delhi - Jan 31, 2012
- Yum Restaurants to invest $150 mn on expansion - Nov 10, 2009
- Rapper Flavor Flav pulling his name from chicken joint - Apr 25, 2011
- Glen Cove man 'cracks' KFC's secret recipe - Jul 21, 2009
- Peta State Of The Union Undress Ad 2010 - Jan 28, 2010
- KFC to keep the 'Double down Sandwich' on its menu - May 21, 2010
- No more 'chicken without sex life' in Beijing - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: advert, american fried chicken, australia, beijing, black men, bowtie, chinese university, colleagues, colonel sanders, copyright infringement, displeasure, franchise, giant kentucky, kentucky fried chicken, obama, spokesperson, suspenders, ufo, university students, white man