North Carolina’s zoo elephant to get contact lenses on orderJune 20th, 2012 - 9:41 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
North Carolina, June 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An elephant is all get contact lenses as his eye-sight is weak. After C’sar the elephant suffered his second cataract operation, the veterinarian team at N.C. Zoo, where he lives, decided that contact lenses could be used as a treatment for the elephant.
C’sar, the 38 years old is an African bull elephant. He weighs approximately 12,000 pounds.
In 2010 that wild-park workers noticed something white in the elephant’s eyes. Veterinaries from N.C. State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine later established that the elephant was suffering from cataracts.
After the white cloud in his left eye got serious, zoo-keepers noticed that C’sar’s movements had become erratic and the animals have turned increasingly lethargic and he lost a significant amount of weight.
They then decided to pull the elephant from exhibition for his own safety. If the elephant would have continued like this, the zoo probably would have had to sacrifice the elephant.
Last November, Richard McMullen, helped the zoo’s veterinarians team and the C’sar’s keepers, carried out a surgical operation to remove the cataracts from the animal’s left eye. On May 31, McMullen returned to the zoo and successfully removed the cataract from the elephant’s right eye.
The surgical procedures have, nevertheless, left the animal farsighted. A company is currently manufacturing a giant pair of contact lenses for the elephant.
- Elephants love liquor, cry when sad, says new book (IANS Books) - Apr 22, 2011
- Bull Goes on the Run at Edinburgh Zoo - Sep 04, 2012
- Contacts better than implanted lenses for babies with cataracts - May 11, 2010
- Giant panda gives birth at Washington zoo - Sep 18, 2012
- Elephant pair knocked down by tanker in Noida, one dies - Jun 29, 2012
- Wolves kill wildlife park worker - Jun 18, 2012
- "Dead" baby elephant calf comes to life at Sydney zoo! - Mar 10, 2010
- China to keep an eye on cosmetic contact lenses - Jan 20, 2012
- White rhino calf born in UAE zoo - Mar 15, 2012
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Zoo pachyderm release should be closely monitored: Experts - Nov 19, 2009
- UAE zoo offers special safari for kids - Mar 01, 2012
- Animals Killed And Left To Rot In British Safari Park - Jan 11, 2011
- Leopard mauls croc keeper to death in China zoo - Jul 19, 2012
- Lioness fitted with contact lenses! - Dec 17, 2009
Tags: african bull elephant, c state, cataract operation, cataracts, college of veterinary medicine, contact lenses, elephant, eye sight, giant pair, last november, left eye, n c state university, s college, surgical procedures, veterinarian, veterinarians, veterinaries, white cloud, wild park, zoo keepers