Mom pretended to be dead son to collect insurance moneyJune 6th, 2012 - 9:47 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Atlanta, June 6 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Fulton County District Attorney’s Office have declared that Donna Ellis Gibbs, an Atlanta resident, has confessed to collecting more than $151,000 after committing insurance fraud.
She has been charged on five counts of insurance fraud and one count of theft after taking a fraudulent an accidental death policy in her deceased son’s name.
After she pleaded guilty, Gibbs has been sentenced to 20 years’ probation, 200 hours of community service. In addition, she must pay back all of the money she took from the insurance provider.
Prosecutors claim that Gibbs posed as her dead son and applied for an insurance policy for two months after his death. Gibbs’ son passed away in a December 2002 after being victim of a car crash. She later submitted a claim to an insurance company and collected the full policy amount.
Her former husband, the son’s father, investigated the issue and uncovered the plot in March 2007. He sent the insurance company the original death certificate of his son and notified them of the fraud. Local prosecutors say the sentence can be terminated after five years if Gibbs successfully completes the terms of her plea agreement.
- Celebrity beauty salon owner pleads guilty to cheating - Jan 23, 2011
- Roseville, CA man pleads guilty on a money laundering case - Feb 17, 2010
- Woman who posed as T.S. Eliot's daughter jailed for fraud - May 06, 2011
- Owners killing their pets to get insurance payout - Nov 14, 2011
- Owner of FL medical equipment company convicted of fraud - Feb 03, 2010
- Britain seeks details on its national's death in Himcahal - Nov 15, 2011
- Owner of Glass Emporium of Marin convicted of wire fraud in Oakland, CA - Mar 23, 2010
- Coventry, CT man sentenced for participating in bank fraud scheme - Mar 10, 2010
- Chiropractor, attorney, and 15 others defrauded insurance companies with fake accidents - Feb 20, 2010
- Indian-American doctor convicted of health care fraud - Mar 15, 2012
- Grandmother to be jailed in Social Security fraud case - Mar 29, 2011
- Peter Jackson's credit card fraudster jailed - Feb 10, 2011
- Stepfather held in China for drowning kid - Feb 04, 2012
- Nicolas Cage criticises ex-girlfriend Christina Fulton - Jun 16, 2011
- Indian American doctor gets jail for $13 mn insurance fraud - Aug 12, 2010
Tags: accidental death, atlanta june, car crash, county district attorney, death certificate, deceased son, donna ellis, fulton county district attorney, gibbs, insurance, insurance company, insurance fraud, insurance money, insurance policy, insurance provider, mom, plea agreement, probation, prosecutors