Mickey Mouse tweet lands Egyptian billionaire in courtJanuary 10th, 2012 - 10:02 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Cairo, Jan 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An Egyptian billionaire is going on trial for “insulting” Islam on Twitter. Coptic Christian Naguib Sawiris, regarded as one of the wealthiest men in Egypt, tweeted the image of Mickey and Minnie Mouse but the country’s leaders say he insulted Islam in the process.
In the image that he posted months ago, Mickey had a long beard with Minnie sporting a face veil and a head cover. Sawiris’ lawyers say the country’s prosecutors forwarded the case to court on Monday.
When Sawiris initially posted the image, it drew a large condemnation prompting him to remove the image and apologize. Human rights groups say with the apology, the country’s prosecutors should not have gone forward with the prosecution.
Human rights lawyer Gamal Eid told reporters that, “It was a joke, the reaction was surprising and strong, and he apologized and took it down, which showed good intentions. The same prosecutors that are moving so quickly on this case have had other cases on their plate for months, but they’ve been dealing with them really slowly.”
Observers say Egypt is gradually moving to Islamic rule. Hosni Mubarack’s rule came to an end earlier this year following days of deadly clashes.
- 'Egyptians believe Islamists will make a better nation' - Jan 29, 2012
- Egyptian channel with veiled women launches broadcast - Jul 21, 2012
- Egypt has changed forever, says Obama as crisis continues (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Muslim Brotherhood's party officially registered in Egypt - Jun 07, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak's health is deteriorating - Jun 06, 2012
- Hosni Mubarak to be moved to prison hospital - Apr 25, 2011
- Missing Google executive in Egypt to be released - Feb 07, 2011
- Egypt panel 'to study constitutional reform' - Feb 06, 2011
- Egypt extends detention of Mubarak's sons for 15 days - Apr 27, 2011
- Mubarak's daughters-in-law banned from leaving Egypt - Jun 17, 2011
- Mubarak verdict to be appealed against - Jun 03, 2012
- Egyptian tycoon offers reward for stolen Van Gogh painting - Aug 27, 2010
- Muslim Brotherhood joins opposition-Egypt Government talks - Feb 06, 2011
- Egyptians launch Christian Brotherhood challenging Islamists - Jul 06, 2012
- Egypt to re-open its historical sites on Sunday - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: apology, cairo, condemnation, coptic christian, deadly clashes, egyptian billionaire, eid, good intentions, human rights groups, human rights lawyer, insulting islam, islamic rule, mickey and minnie, mickey and minnie mouse, mickey mouse, observers, prosecutors, twitter, veil, wealthiest men