Mexico City breaks zombie-gathering recordNovember 28th, 2011 - 9:38 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Mexico City, Nov 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Mexico City turned into a zombie town after more than 10,000 residents took part in what they expect to be regarded as the world’s largest zombie gathering. The residents had their sights set on the record of New Jersey’s Asbury Park which holds the record of the largest zombie gatherings.
A little over 4,000 people took part in the zombie walk at the Jersey’s Asbury Park in 2010. The Australian city of Brisbane was hoping to be given the honor after about 8,000 people took part in a zombie walk.
That dream though seems to have been shattered by Mexico with the recent gathering. The culture of zombie is very much part of the lifestyle of Mexicans.
The country honors those who have passed away with the annual Day of the Dead observation. The occasion is marked twice in the month of November to commemorate the passing of the living to the dead. There were varied costumes at the observation in Mexico City as the residents walked around receiving gifts for the food banks in the city.
Hollywood is credited with promoting the zombie culture around the world. Several movies like Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later and others are believed to have shaped people’s perception of the dead.
- World's largest nativity scene set up in Mexico City - Dec 09, 2011
- 1,141 people set new Guinness World Record walking barefoot - Sep 06, 2010
- Asbury Park's beach to be made topless? - Jun 24, 2010
- Mexico sets record for largest folk dance performance - Sep 05, 2011
- Child porn website mastermind held in Australia - May 21, 2011
- World's largest 230-foot enchilada made in Mexico City - Oct 19, 2010
- At least 2 dead in Australia's latest flash floods - Jan 10, 2011
- Cuban zombie film to premiere at Toronto film fest - Aug 04, 2011
- New Jersey Considers A Beach For Women To Go Topless - Jun 26, 2010
- South Asians in US celebrate American I-Day with fireworks - Jul 10, 2012
- 'Slut walk' protests begin in Australia - May 28, 2011
- The cost of getting a new nose in Asia (The Funny Side) - Aug 10, 2012
- Snooki having a huge ball on New Year’s eve - Dec 10, 2010
- Hurricane Irene toll is 38; 5 mn in US still without power - Aug 30, 2011
- Bruce Springsteen thanks the Asbury Park press - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: 28 days later, asbury park, brisbane, costumes, day of the dead, food banks, gatherings, hollywood, Life Style, mexicans, mexico city, month of november, news mexico, night of the living dead, observation, perception, receiving gifts, several movies, zombie town, zombie walk