Man loses $49K worth collection of poisonous snakesFebruary 27th, 2012 - 10:01 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Feb 27 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A 51-year-old man has lost $49,000 worth of venomous snakes that he kept in his house as pets. The animals were taken away last August and taken to the Natural Science Museum in Raleigh.
Walter Kidd of Hendersonville appeared before court on Friday on the charges of possessing endangered animals. He was also accused of failing to properly label the containers that he kept the animals in thereby placing those who came to his home in danger.
The police would not have gotten wind of the animals if Kidd had not been bitten. Officials say he was rushed to the hospital after one of the poisonous creatures bit him. Fortunately for him, doctors were able to remove the venom from his system thereby saving his life.
His lawyers told the court that Kidd never meant to harm anyone. They claim that because he kept the animals in his house, he could not be charged for endangering the public.
A court will decide if Kidd will spend time in jail along with the creatures being taken away. Venomous snakes kill thousands of people each year around the world. Some venoms are more potent than others.
- Man bitten by pet snake, dies - Aug 06, 2010
- Now, an all India guide map on snakes - Mar 15, 2012
- Chhattisgarh man, a snake venom junkie - Nov 23, 2009
- UK shop worker comes face to face with a venomous spider - Feb 23, 2012
- To kill self, woman gets bitten by snake - Jun 20, 2011
- Snake expert dies of cobra bite - Jul 02, 2011
- McDonalds snake wrestling incident leads to the arrest of 2 men - Sep 10, 2010
- Raymond Hoser lets a snake bite his daughter - Aug 10, 2011
- Snake Murugan of Coimbatore - Dec 10, 2009
- Snake bites deputy marshal of Orissa assembly - Jul 26, 2009
- Man with 250 rare animals caught in Argentina - Dec 27, 2011
- Sea horses recovered from Agra warehouse - Apr 05, 2012
- Snake charmer held for selling endangered cobras - Jul 18, 2010
- Egyptian cobra escapes from Bronx zoo - Mar 29, 2011
- Dare to buy; house of snakes on sale! - Jan 24, 2011