Litter of 17 puppies born in GermanyDecember 21st, 2010 - 9:01 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Berlin, Dec 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A dog in Germany managed to naturally give birth to 17 puppies.
That is incredible considering that all the puppies are alive and seemingly well. That is not the first time that the dog has managed to litter so many puppies.
The first time that the dog, Etana littered, she brought out about eight puppies and it seems the number keeps getting higher. Etana gave birth on the 28th day of September and its owner, Ramona Wegemann said that it was a struggle to feed the puppies.
He said that by the time he gets to feed the last puppy, the first-fed puppy will be hungry again and that sets in motion something like a feeding cycle. Due to insufficient breast milk, Wegemann was feeding the dogs five times daily for the first four weeks that the animals were born. He said that period was hectic and he slept just a maximum of 20 minutes daily.
Wegemann has given all the 17 puppies African names because they are Rhodesian Ridgeback which are natural African dogs. They are mostly used in African for hunting purposes. Etana littered eight bitches and nine male dogs.
- Dog in Germany Gives Birth to Litter of 17 Puppies - Dec 22, 2010
- Great Dane gives birth to 17 puppies via a Cesarean section - Mar 21, 2011
- Cancer-stricken Swayze continues to smoke - Aug 07, 2009
- Pet dogs in Britain to be microchipped - Apr 24, 2011
- Drew Barrymore adopts puppy - Feb 03, 2012
- Hungry babies can smell mom's milk - Oct 06, 2011
- Dog plays mom to three tiger cubs - Jun 11, 2012
- Dogs overtaking cats as UK's favourite pet - Apr 03, 2011
- African village dogs genetically much more diverse than modern breeds - Aug 05, 2009
- Dog gave birth to a kitten? Not a cock and bull story - Jul 21, 2012
- Lovey-dovey cat and dog raising litter of puppies together! - Jun 22, 2009
- Rooting for the underdog! (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg's new pooch has its own Facebook page! - Mar 08, 2011
- Tibetan mastiff gives birth to 26 pups! - Apr 10, 2010
- British police officer banned over dead dogs - Oct 13, 2011