Letter From 1930’s Delivered To Stockton After 7 DecadesJuly 23rd, 2010 - 9:43 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
July 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A letter, which was mailed almost 73 years ago, has finally reached it’s destination amid a mystery of what kept it floating in the system for over seven decades. The mail which should have been delivered back in the 1930’s finally arrived at it’s destination, in Stockton earlier this week.
Back in the 30’s, the building which now houses the Women’s Center of San Joaquin County at 620 North San Joaquin Street in Stockton was a convent were Miss Marie Fergone was studying to be a nun. The letter was to this address, and was opened and read by the Center’s director, Joelle Gomez.
“The first think I noticed was the postmark. I said ‘No way’. It said December 23, 1937,” stated Gomez. “I kind of deliberated for a short while thinking should I open this? This is so curious. How could a letter be floating in the system for 73 years.”
And open it she did. As she read, Gomez discovered that the letter was sent to Marie Fergone from a nun in San Francisco. After she read the letter, Gomez stated out loud, “It says ‘Dear Marie, Merry Christmas to you and a new year full of blessing.” and it went on to say “Hope you will be there for many years to come. What do you think of it? Affectionately yours, Sister Justine”
So Gomez decided to track down the family of Marie Fergone, and discovered that although she was indeed studying to become a nun, she gave up that path and chose to marry and become a mother instead. Gomez wondered if maybe the letter which was encouraging her to stay on and finish her studies as a nun would have changed Marie’s life plan in any way.
“Had this correspondence maybe got to her, which was an encouraging letter for her to continue studying, maybe her life would have gone a different way,” said Gomez.
The Post Office plans to hand deliver the letter to the family of Marie Fergone.
- Letter From 1930s Gets Delivered After 73 Years - Jul 23, 2010
- Letter From The 1930s Delivered To Stockton At Last - Jul 23, 2010
- Letter from 1930's delivered - Jul 24, 2010
- Letter posted in the 1930's finally gets delivered after 73 years - Jul 23, 2010
- Nepal's Buddhist nuns rally behind gangraped 'sister' - Aug 03, 2011
- Kerala sister's book runs into controversy - Aug 12, 2012
- How did British PM's ex-girlfriend become a nun? - Apr 29, 2012
- Catholic Nun - Sister Marie Thornton spared jail term despite embezzling $850,000 - Nov 15, 2011
- Police find nun's body in her convent's tank (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Whoopi Goldberg's lost letter to Charlie Sheen - Mar 20, 2011
- Memory deteriorates faster in life's last two years - Apr 05, 2012
- Police find nun's body in her convent - Aug 17, 2011
- Kerala nun's death: Police question 50 people - Aug 18, 2011
- Struggle for gender equality in Buddhism ups global pitch - Dec 02, 2011
- Gangraped Buddhist nun faces new ordeal in Nepal (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: christmas, convent, correspondence, dear marie, decades, gomez, joelle, mail, merry christmas, mystery, new year, post office, postmark, s center, san francisco, san joaquin county, sister justine