Judge Mr Justice Mostyn orders that husband is entitled to money from his ex-wife’s lottery winOctober 18th, 2011 - 10:39 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Oct 18 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A British man will be smiling all the way to the bank after a court awarded him a chunk of his ex-wife’s lottery win. The man, who was only dentified as a hotel porter, will be given a share of the £500,000 lottery that his ex-wife won.
Judge Mr Justice Mostyn ordered that the man is entitled to a total of £85,000. The amount will have to be paid as a lump sum to the man. Though the judge admitted that the lottery money was not part of the former couple’s matrimonial properties, the woman will have to give the money to the ex-husband because she used part of the money to purchase a house.
The judge explained that by buying the house, the woman converted part of the amount to matrimonial property. The judge ordered that the parties involved in the case should not be identified.
In giving his ruling, the judge wrote that, “In this case I (had) to consider the treatment to be awarded to a lottery prize of £500,000 in financial remedy proceedings following divorce. There have been at least five reported decisions on the subject in Australia. To my knowledge there has been no reported decision on the subject here.”
The ruling will no doubt generate debate in the United Kingdom.
- Nigel Page forced to pay part of his lottery winnings to his ex-wife - Nov 22, 2010
- Man fined for depriving wife of sex - Sep 07, 2011
- Beijing man hits $90 mn jackpot - Jun 13, 2012
- Man wins his second lottery in Panama City - May 11, 2011
- Chinese held for mailing bomb to girlfriend - Apr 14, 2012
- Florida Man Jailed For Sending Facebook Friend Request To Ex-Wife - Aug 19, 2010
- Mel Gibson Donates $9 Million To His Private Church - Nov 01, 2010
- Rs.1,500 for three kids? Court hikes maintenance - May 29, 2011
- Man loses health claim for wife after remarrying - May 19, 2012
- Charlie Sheen's divorce finalized - May 03, 2011
- Chinese man held for killing five people - Apr 16, 2012
- New York man admits stealing gold from South Asian homes - Sep 22, 2010
- Muslim man told to pay maintenance to ex-wife - Jun 18, 2011
- Elizabeth Edwards Leaves Nothing For John Edwards In Her Will - Jan 07, 2011
- Oregon Lottery Turns Two People Into Millionaires - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: australia, british man, chunk, divorce, hotel porter, london, lottery money, lottery prize, lump sum, matrimonial property, mostyn, mr justice, no doubt, proceedings, remedy, reported decisions, united kingdom