Jammie Thomas-Rasset ordered to pay $1.5 million in finesNovember 8th, 2010 - 11:32 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Nov 8 (THAINDIAN NEWS) It has been there for sometime but it seems the Recording Industry Association of America are now getting tough on people who are downloading songs on the Internet illegally. In the case of Jammie Thomas-Rasset, she has been ordered to pay a fine of $1.5 million for downloading 24 songs from the file sharing site Kazaa.
The fine means that she has been ordered to pay a whopping $ 62,500 per song that she downloaded. Well that is huge but it seems the judge was lenient on her. The law allows a maximum fine of $150,000 for each song that is downloaded illegally. If that has been applied, Jammie could have been ordered to cough up more than twice the amount she was fined ($3.6 million).
The ruling no doubt is welcomed by the Recording Industry Association of America and all artists in general. The illegal downloads and sharing of songs cost artists and producers so much money and for sometime now they have been threatening to hit back and ensure that they get what is legally due them.
Obviously the fine is shocking to Jammie and will not be surprised if she appeals the ruling.
- US court fines $22,500 per song for illegal music download - Aug 01, 2009
- Woman fined $1.9 mn for illegal download - Jun 19, 2009
- Jammie Thomas Rasset Fined For Piracy - Jun 20, 2009
- LimeWire forced to shut down because of a court order - Oct 28, 2010
- Is Indian music industry losing battle against piracy? - Dec 15, 2010
- Free Music Download From LimeWire Illegal - Oct 27, 2010
- Child piano playing prodigy sets new Guinness record - Jul 26, 2012
- Lil Wayne "I Am Not A Human Being" Released Digitally - Sep 28, 2010
- Solo album magic wanes: Digital media may revive it - Aug 07, 2012
- Mariah Carey lashes out at music industry bosses for illegal downloads - Nov 17, 2009
- Cee Lo records a song for the firefighters - May 11, 2011
- 'Kiss Me' singer Noelia wants to collaborate with Zakir Hussain - May 23, 2012
- Lily Allen stands out against Internet piracy - Sep 15, 2009
- Bieber named as the most downloaded artiste - Mar 01, 2011
- 82-year-old cockfighting ringleader Gene Jeffcoat sentenced to probation for 5 years - Aug 13, 2010