Fugitive Makoto Hirata tries to surrender but is turned away by the policeJanuary 4th, 2012 - 12:22 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Tokyo, Jan 3 (THAINDIAN NEWS) When a notorious fugitive turned himself in, an officer thought it was a joke and sent him away. Makoto Hirata is one of the most wanted guys in Japan following series of criminal charges brought against him. He has evaded capture for about 17 years but on New Year’s Eve, he walked to the police station to turn himself in.
When Makoto identified himself and told the officer to arrest him, the officer reportedly told him to literally get lost. Believing that he was joking, the officer asked him to report to another station. The said officer however failed to contact his superiors.
Determined to end his fugitive status, Makoto went to another station where he was arrested. His motivation for going to the police? Makoto says that he was touched by the March earthquake and decided to make things right in his life.
Makoto is wanted in connection with a 1995 kidnapping. He has denied being responsible for the death of the man. Though he has changed his hair when compared to those on the official wanted list, Makoto still retains most of his facial features.
He also denies that he was involved in a 1995 shooting of the head of the National Police Agency.
- Japan gas attack suspect held after 17 years - Jun 04, 2012
- Gangster Suri murder accused Bhanu arrested (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Lindsay Ann Hawker's Murderer To Release Autobiography - Jan 27, 2011
- Jeff Lacy's Brother Found Dead In Florida Shooting Incident - Jan 25, 2011
- Man attempts suicide near chief minister's house - Sep 07, 2010
- Ex-MP Shahabuddin's aide arrested - Oct 09, 2011
- Clashes erupt in Serbia protest against Mladic arrest - May 30, 2011
- Delhi court blast suspect arrested in Ghaziabad (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Infamous car thief again escapes arrest - Oct 17, 2011
- Dewani murder: Prosecution chief terms husband 'murderer' - Feb 20, 2011
- Indian Canadian wanted in 1999 slaying arrested in US - Aug 24, 2011
- Israelis, drugs and spy cam video wars in Goa (Letter from Goa) - Jan 12, 2011
- Fugitive held in Britain after framing his wanted poster - Apr 22, 2012
- US police probing murder-suicide by ex-Indian army major - Jun 11, 2012
- Chris Brown releases Don't Wake Me Up video - Jun 13, 2012