Frank Buckley builds a house of shredded notesJanuary 25th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Dublin, Jan 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A jobless artist in Ireland has built a home with 1.4 billion Euros of shredded notes. Frank Buckley got the notes from the Irish treasury and he argues that his work is meant to show the emotions that the country had when they joined in the use of the single European currency.
Ireland experienced major construction shortly after the introduction of the single currency but the country recently woke up to stark realization with a bust. The IMF had to intervene to prevent the country from going the way of Greece.
Buckley told local newsmen that, “It’s a reflection of the whole madness that gripped us…”People were pouring billions into buildings now worth nothing,” he said. “I wanted to create something from nothing.”
He apartment which Buckley calls his “billion-euro home” is built in the lobby of an office building in Dublin. The structure has been vacant since it was built about four years ago.
Buckley has been living in his structure since December. He has split from his wife and plans to add a kitchen to the “billion-euro home.”
Buckley is rooting for the European politicians to save the euro currency but he was quick to add that if that fails, he will gladly accept the defunct notes and build more structures with them.
- Spain sells 3.2 bn euros in bonds at higher rates - Apr 18, 2012
- Greek government survives trust vote - Jun 22, 2011
- Spain's risk premium hits euro-era record - Jul 20, 2012
- Greece to receive new IMF aid in July: French PM - Jun 22, 2011
- Ireland and EU agree to multi-billion aid package - Nov 22, 2010
- Ireland courts Bollywood with money-back guarantee - Jan 15, 2012
- Greek PM resigns; polls set for February - Nov 07, 2011
- Infosys fears euro could collapse - Jul 12, 2012
- Greek PM asks for 'time to breathe' - Aug 25, 2012
- Indo-German trade to touch 20 billion euros: Krishna - Jun 22, 2012
- More in Ireland for Indians than Guinness, Jameson (With Images) - Jan 18, 2012
- Euro on brink of collapse: IMF - Apr 18, 2012
- Can Ireland recover its economy? - Nov 22, 2010
- IMF urges euro zone to contain crisis - Mar 02, 2012
- EU proposes $68 bn infrastructure package - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: apartment, billions, bust, dublin, emotions, euro home, european politicians, frank buckley, greece, imf, ireland, madness, major construction, newsmen, reflection, single currency, stark realization, treasury