Elizabeth Balogh arrested on her wedding dayNovember 18th, 2011 - 8:47 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Nov 18 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An English woman had a nightmarish surprise on her “wedding day” when the police picked her up for arranging a sham marriage to get a visa for a Pakistani man. 33-year-old Elizabeth Balogh had reportedly received £400 to marry 25-year-old Asif Hussain so he could get a visa to stay in the United Kingdom.
Prosecutors told the court that the marriage registrar who supervised the wedding alerted the immigration office when he suspected that the two were not real couple. The court heard that as the two were going through the wedding ceremony last August, the two barely spoke to each other.
Chief prosecutor Hywel Hughes told the Cardiff Crown Court that, “It was apparent that there was very little verbal communication between the bride and groom.”
The pair reportedly got the marriage arranged in a matter of weeks and they seemed to be in a rush to complete the ceremony. The matchmaker who happened to be Elizabeth’s cousin was also arrested for the fraud. The suspects admitted to the crime and the court sentenced them accordingly.
Hussain was jailed 12 months with Elizabeth going in 10 months. The matchmaker, Valerie Farkas, was jailed 6 months for the role that he played.
Marriage for visa is one of the common forms of marriage shams in the developed world. Most of those marriages are ended shortly after the other partner gets the visa.
- Indians held in British sham marriage - Feb 01, 2012
- Cricket lovers marry with bats and balls in hand! - Feb 26, 2011
- Pakistani woman allowed to marry prisoner on death row - May 13, 2010
- Malaysians seek brides from Vietnam, China - Jul 25, 2010
- Pakistani man arrested before wedding in Britain - Jul 24, 2010
- Pakistani arrested by UK police for sham marriage to Lithuanian woman - Nov 30, 2010
- Sham marriage groom made list to memorise bride's details - Dec 03, 2011
- Apex court grants murder convict parole to marry - Jun 21, 2012
- Rajasthan cracks down on child marriages - Mar 31, 2012
- Gay couple in UP on run after marrying - Apr 13, 2012
- Wedding for the jailed after court intervention - Jan 22, 2011
- Spain shuts migrant marriage fraud ring - Feb 01, 2012
- Kim Kardashian breaches Australian visa rules - Dec 03, 2011
- Valerie Bertinelli Weds Her Longtime Beau Tom Vitale - Jan 03, 2011
- Russell Brand And Katy Perry's “Very Normal” Wedding To Take Place This Weekend - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: 10 months, 12 months, asif, bride and groom, cardiff crown court, chief prosecutor, cousin, english woman, farkas, immigration office, marriage registrar, matchmaker, pakistani man, prosecutors, sham marriage, shams, valerie, verbal communication, wedding ceremony, wedding day