Czech painter Roman Tyc uses human ashes in his paintingsSeptember 29th, 2011 - 12:11 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Prague, Sept 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Renowned Czech painter Roman Tyc has caused quite a stir after he opened an exhibition of his works that have human ashes. The exhibition was opened on Tuesday at the city center of Prague.
The introduction text of the exhibition which was written by Tyc reads, “When you’re six and your mum dies, you see her as a metal urn and know her only from photographs for the rest of your life, you believe there’s a way to free her from the can.”
The 37-year-old made 19 portraits using the ashes of his mother. The director of the Dvorak Sec Contemporary art gallery told reporters that the exhibition is in honor of Tyc’s mother. The exhibition is has the title “Grave Robber”.
The paintings will not be sold, the gallery says. In 2007, Tyc was jailed for a month in Prague after he changed “Walk” and “Don’t Walk” signs at about 50 traffic lights in the city. He replaced those signs with images of people jumping and urinating. The action though got him a prize at the Vienna art festival.
The gallery where the exhibition is going to take place says there is nothing controversial about the use of human ashes in artwork. They revealed that human ashes were used by the country’s artists in the 1960s.
- The latest exhibition of 5-year-old art prodigy Aelita Andre opens to the public - Jun 15, 2012
- F.N. Souza's London years by Ida Kar in Delhi - Oct 05, 2011
- London art fair to highlight Husain's work - Feb 16, 2011
- Women's Day: Five women artists collaborate for exhibition - Mar 05, 2012
- Presenting, 'master' Picasso with 'fan' Souza in East-West showcase (With Images) - Dec 19, 2011
- Four generations a facet of contemporary Indian art: Gulammohammed Sheikh (Interview) - Oct 18, 2011
- Fake modern Indian art market fattens on budget buyers (With Images) - Aug 06, 2012
- Woman loses mother's ashes at Bingo hall - Dec 10, 2011
- Vinyl record made from ashes to help you 'live from beyond the groove!' - Sep 27, 2010
- Iconic Raphael self portrait under scrutiny after identical painting surfaces - Jan 28, 2011
- Mamata's paintings to be auctioned - Apr 05, 2011
- Kolkata prison first to house permanent art gallery - Feb 19, 2012
- Ramkinkar Baij colours Delhi's spring canvas (With Image) - Feb 09, 2012
- People have the right to express: Artist Shuvaprasanna - Nov 12, 2011
- Mahabharat gets a new look from Nepal (With images) - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: 1960s, art festival, artwork, contemporary art gallery, czech painter, dvorak, exhibition, grave robber, human ashes, introduction text, paintings, photographs, portraits, prague, rest of your life, signs, traffic lights, tyc, urn, vienna art