Coyote delays jets at Atlanta airportMarch 24th, 2011 - 12:15 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Atlanta, Mar 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A coyote wandered onto the runway of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport on Tuesday afternoon forcing several flights to be delayed. The ground crews had to chase the animal off the runway before the planes could take to the skies again. The animal managed to hold up the planes for some few minutes before the planes were allowed to fly again.
The airport is one of the busiest in the world and the hold-up no doubt inconvenienced several passengers. According to officials at the airport, the animal was spotted at the south side of the airport at about 3:30 pm.
A Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen who briefed reporters on the incident said that the animal was chased away from the runway with an airport vehicle. The animal escaped into a ravine shortly afterwards and flights resumed five minutes later.
Airports Council International has listed Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport as the busiest airport in the world. It serves several millions of passenger each day. At the outer side of the airport fence, there are some bushes and it is believed that the animal got on the runway from the bushes.
- Beijing to build world's busiest airport - Feb 26, 2012
- Second Delta flight makes emergency landing in Atlanta - Nov 22, 2010
- 70 percent of air passengers want self-service while on a journey - Oct 07, 2010
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- 10 injured as plane makes emergency landing in Lahore - Aug 31, 2012
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Plane's tyre bursts on landing at Hyderabad airport - Mar 28, 2011
- Georgians Having A Tough Time As Atlanta Experiences Heavy Snow Storm - Jan 10, 2011
- Crash paralyses Mangalore airport - May 22, 2010
- FAA announces over $2.5 million in Recovery Act fund for airport projects - Sep 29, 2010
- Monkey delays Air China flight from New York - May 26, 2012
- Air travelers 'at risk from disease-causing secondhand smoke' - Nov 27, 2010
- Air India flight skids off runway in Kanpur - Jul 20, 2011
- Heavy Snowfall Forces Temporary Closure Of Gatwick Airport - Dec 03, 2010
- Mumbai airport's main runway not yet functional - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: airport atlanta, airports council international, atlanta airport, bushes, busiest airport in the world, coyote, federal aviation administration, fence, few minutes, five minutes, ground crews, hartsfield jackson international, hartsfield jackson international airport, jets, kathleen bergen, no doubt, planes, ravine, spokeswoman, tuesday afternoon