Cleaner wipes away $1 million artworkNovember 7th, 2011 - 10:12 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Dortmund, Nov 7 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A cleaner wiped away $1 million worth of artwork at a German museum. The Ostwall Museum told reporters that the cleaner thought the artwork was a mess and completely wiped it off beyond recognition.
The museum said the destroyed artwork is valued at 800,000 euros ($1.07 million). The piece was made by Martin Kippenberger and is called When It Starts Dripping From the Ceiling.
A spokesperson for the museum said the art piece was loaned to the museum by a private collector. The damage was only detected late last month. The museum said the project has been completely destroyed and there is no way it could be restored. The cleaner virtually scrubbed the surface until it got to the canvas.
The spokesperson said that, “It is now impossible to return it to its original state.”
It is not clear how the cleaner got so close to the painting. The museum said it is a policy for cleaners of the museum to stay 8 inches away from all the artworks. This is not the first time that a valuable artwork has been destroyed by a cleaner.
In 1986, a cleaner at the Academy of Fine Arts in Duesseldorf destroyed Joseph Beuys’ “Grease Stain” which was valued at more than half a million dollars.
- Cleaner wipes off 'stain', destroys artwork - Nov 04, 2011
- Mumbai snapshots, Gandhi, Picasso - all on Dodiya's shutters (With Image) - Mar 06, 2010
- 16th century Mumbai museum manuscript to be restored - Jan 19, 2012
- 28 stolen art pieces worth $3.5 mn found in Spain - Dec 21, 2010
- Truck carrying $6.5 mn in art works stolen in Spain - Dec 03, 2010
- Art work worth $150 mn stolen from Beijing palace - May 11, 2011
- Brad Pitt buys graffiti art - Jun 23, 2012
- '200 One Dollar Bills' Silk Screen Painting Sold At 43.8 Million Dollars - Nov 12, 2009
- Germany rejects Egypt's request to return Queen Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Billionaire Russian Capitalist, Roman Abramovich, Acquires An Island Worth $400 Million For Lodging His Famous Art Collection - Dec 08, 2010
- Artist Sheba Chacchi wins Singapore Signature Art prize - Nov 22, 2011
- Radcliffe gets giant artwork on birthday - Sep 06, 2010
- Dortmund crushes Kaiserslautern in German Bundesliga - Apr 29, 2012
- PM lays foundation of southern performing arts museum - Sep 12, 2012
- Picasso painting vandalised in US - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: 1 million, academy of fine arts, art piece, artwork, artworks, canvas, duesseldorf, german museum, grease stain, half a million, joseph beuys, martin kippenberger, million dollars, painting, private collector, spokesperson