Calling someone ‘fat’ could become a hate crime in UKMay 30th, 2012 - 8:08 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, May 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The leading charity Central YMCA is supporting the plans of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Body Image, which could soon make the use of words like fat to ridicule someone a hate crime in the UK.
The report Reflections on Body Image by this group of MPs and the charity suggested that appearance-based discrimination should be legally investigated and punished on the same way as gender and ethnic discrimination.
The Equalities Act 2010 prohibits the harassment, victimisation or discrimination of any individual on the basis of ethnic background, gender, sexual preferences, age or any other physical characteristics.
An amendment to the Equalities Act has been suggested by the parliamentary group.
Rosi Prescott, Central YMCA’s CEO, stated that the British society should be more accepting of individuals suffering obesity. She also suggested that there is no need for telling anybody that they are obese.
Over 66% of all UK adults are overweight. Experts estimate that this number will raised over the next years. Jo Swinson, the group’s Liberal Democrat chair, agreed with Rosi Prescott’s views, but claimed that she is not personally convinced that an amendment of Equalities Act would be the best way to tackle appearance-based discrimination.
- Outrage over UK decision to implement 'Sus' laws allowing police to target minorities - Oct 16, 2010
- Julia Roberts' Lancome ad banned in Britain - Jul 27, 2011
- Discrimination increases health problems in obese people - Mar 04, 2011
- Obese teens 'at higher risk of becoming obese adults' - Nov 10, 2010
- Men still do the talking, women stripping in films, finds Hollywood study - Apr 23, 2011
- 'Obese women receive lower starting salaries' - May 02, 2012
- Severely obese teens 'no more likely to be depressed' - Apr 22, 2011
- Gene variants 'raise risk of childhood obesity' - Oct 17, 2010
- Ethnicity key to accurate obesity measurements - Apr 22, 2010
- President Obama calls for continue efforts for equal payment - Jul 20, 2010
- Women get equal rights to become guardians, adopt children - Sep 02, 2010
- Lifestyle intervention program cuts risk of type 2 diabetes - Oct 02, 2010
- 3 out of 4 women face barriers to top-level promotion in UK - Feb 21, 2011
- NGOs want protection of men in sexual harassment bill - Jul 17, 2010
- Airbrushed photos of skinny models 'making girls as young as 5 depressed' - Nov 09, 2009
Tags: body image, central ymca, charity, equalities, ethnic background, ethnic discrimination, harassment, hate crime, jo swinson, liberal democrat, mps, obesity, party parliamentary group, physical characteristics, prescott, reflections, sexual preferences, uk adults, uk london, victimisation