Baby with two heads born in BrazilDecember 22nd, 2011 - 12:25 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Rio de Janeiro, Dec 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Doctors in Brazil say a child with two heads has been born in the country. Officials of the Hospital Municipal de Anajas revealed that the baby was surprisingly healthy when he was born.
Hospital officials are excited that they were able to save the lives of the mother and the child. Reports say the mother of the child lives in a village and never had an ultrasound scan when she was pregnant. The baby was born on Monday and it was only then that the mother realized the abnormal nature of the child. Nonetheless, officials say she has bonded well with the baby and wanted the hospital to discharge her immediately.
Director of the hospital told local newspapers in Brazil that, “When doctors scanned her they realised that the baby had two heads and that a normal birth would be a great risk both for mother and baby. The caesarean took an hour because the baby was sitting down. Despite all the problems we have as a small interior hospital we managed to save both mother and baby, which was our aim. And for us it was a great surprise to find out that the child was in really good health.”
Doctors say if tests reveal that both brains are functioning normally, they will leave both heads to develop.
The mother has chosen the names Emanoel and JESUS (Emmanuel and JESUS) for the two heads.
- Baby born with two heads in Brazil - Dec 21, 2011
- Babies born by caesarean more likely to be obese - May 24, 2012
- Baby with six legs born in Pakistan - Apr 18, 2012
- Probe over doctors' labour room brawl in Italy - Aug 30, 2010
- Caesarean babies at greater risk of becoming fat - May 15, 2011
- Doctors perform sex change operation on toddler - Nov 30, 2011
- Amanda Holden has a scary time while giving birth - Jan 26, 2012
- After 14 miscarriages, mum finally gives birth to a healthy baby - Mar 07, 2012
- A 7 kg baby is born in China! - Feb 19, 2012
- Baby born with no blood saved by doctors - Jan 27, 2012
- British hospitals ban caesareans in cost-cutting move - Aug 21, 2011
- Imogen Thomas says that she was hysterical about her baby scare - Aug 14, 2012
- First-ever MRI scan of baby at the moment of birth produced - Dec 08, 2010
- 10-Year-Old Minor Gives Birth To A Baby In Spain - Nov 03, 2010
- Overweight mothers give birth fat babies - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: aim, baby with two heads, brains, brazil rio, child with two heads, country officials, doctors, emmanuel, good health, hospital officials, jesus, local newspapers, mother and baby, normal birth, rio de janeiro, risk, surprise, ultrasound scan