ASBOs given to pensioners over pigeonsJanuary 11th, 2012 - 11:02 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Jan 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Two pensioners have been slapped with anti-social behavior orders (ASBOs) in Trowbridge. The order prevents them from feeding pigeons in the town for the next five years. The two have also been banned from overfeeding any kind of bird in the community.
The Wiltshire Council explained that 69-year-old Margaret Reynolds and 75-year-old Danuta Rogowa have been going round feeding pigeons in the town. The council said the two carry out the task several times each day and their action has resulted in a surge in the population of the birds.
The officials contend that the increased population is accompanied by increased in the droppings of the bird in the town.
A council spokesperson further explained that the increased volume of pigeon droppings “has resulted in a slip hazard on pavements and excessive damage to a number of buildings, including a high number of listed buildings…The cause of the pigeon problem was attributed to the excessive feeding of pigeons by three individuals.”
A third ASBO case has been adjourned to next month by the court in Chippenham. The council tried unsuccessfully in the past to get the women stop feeding the pigeons. The ASBO application was initiated by the council in 2010 at a magistrate court.
- Brit woman, disabled mum jailed for 7hrs for feeding birds - Apr 27, 2011
- Wild pigeons never forget a face - Jul 03, 2011
- Agra skies ready for pigeon flying contests - Dec 22, 2010
- Famous pork pie producing British town now has an Arab twin - Mar 28, 2009
- In China, a swallow doesn't necessarily make a summer (With Images) (An Indian in China) - Jul 03, 2012
- Bird flu panic abates in Meghalaya - Feb 11, 2012
- This year celebrate 'Sparrow Holi' - Mar 20, 2011
- How birds avoid hitting trees - Jan 25, 2012
- Bird flu suspected in Meghalaya - Feb 10, 2012
- Where have all the sparrows gone? (With Images) (March 20 is World House Sparrow Day) - Mar 19, 2011
- Italy bans kissing in cars, feeding stray cats, building sandcastles - Jul 03, 2010
- Sparrow decline indicates serious environmental change: Experts - May 09, 2012
- Bird watchers to revive house sparrow chirping in Shimla (March 20 is World Sparrow Day) - Mar 20, 2011
- Exotic bird over Rs. 100,000 up for sale in Jaipur - Aug 05, 2010
- On World Sparrow Day, move to monitor common birds - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: asbo, birds, excessive damage, feeding pigeons, listed buildings, london jan, magistrate court, margaret reynolds, next five years, pavements, pigeon droppings, population, several times, social behavior, spokesperson, wiltshire council