Amish report staggering growth in MidwestAugust 8th, 2012 - 7:00 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Ohio, Aug 8 (THAINDIAN NEWS) According to a new census carried out by researchers from Ohio state university, the Amish have been found to be one of the fastest growing religious groups in North America. The study which was released on July 27th at the annual meeting of the rural sociological suggests that a new community sprouts up every three and a half weeks.
The population of the Amish in the United States and Canada is estimated to be 250,000. However, this is set to increase and exceed the 1 million mark by the year 2050. To people who come out of the Amish country, the growth may not be visible but rural settlements in the area are without a doubt experiencing boon. 52 year old Daniel Miller who has spent all his life on the Amish settlement opines that the place has grown due to the increase in the number of kids. He reiterates that many Amish families have multiple children and this has contributed to the exponential growth.
These children often stay in the community and eventually have families of their own. Miller says that there are a currently 99 district churches a far cry from the 20 that were in existence as he was growing up. According to the census report, the Amish double their population every 22 years and this explains there rapid growth. Ohio is home to more than 60,000 Amish, Pennsylvania has about 59,000 while Indiana has about 45,000.
- Amish men jailed over reflective triangle dispute - Jan 12, 2012
- Sex ratio of Haryana improves - Aug 12, 2011
- World population could hit seven bn this month - Oct 01, 2011
- Planet could be 'unrecognizable' by 2050 - Feb 21, 2011
- A million strong Indian-American voters gain political clout - Mar 11, 2012
- Nearly 70 percent of Indians live in villages: Census - Jul 15, 2011
- 2010 Census Results Likely To Alter The State's Congressional Set Up - Dec 22, 2010
- Himachal has no official figure on exiled Tibetans - Mar 16, 2011
- Bangladesh has a population of 164.4 million: UN - Oct 21, 2010
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- US cities witness population growth with influx of Hispanics, Asians - Apr 06, 2011
- By 2050, whites 'will be the minority race in US' - Mar 26, 2011
- FBI arrests 7 in Amish beard cutting case - Nov 23, 2011
- Andhra population at 84.6 million, up 11 percent - Mar 31, 2011
- India plans better housing facilities for urban poor - Jul 30, 2011
Tags: 22 years, amish country, amish families, amish pennsylvania, amish settlement, annual meeting, boon, census report, daniel miller, district churches, exponential growth, far cry, midwest ohio, ohio state university, opines, rapid growth, religious groups, sprouts, staggering growth, year 2050