Amish men jailed over reflective triangle disputeJanuary 12th, 2012 - 10:30 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Kentucky, Jan 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A group of Amish men who refused to use the mandated reflective triangle at the back of the horse-drawn cart have been jailed. The Amish community is currently locked in dispute with law enforcement officials regarding the use of the reflective triangles. The law requires that every slow-moving object on the road should have the reflective triangles.
The Amish believes that using the reflective triangle is against their religious beliefs. They believe only GOD, and not the symbols, is the sole protector of their lives. Eight Amish men were jailed for days last September when they refused to use the triangles. One of the men was spared a jail term when his fine for the violation was paid by a member of the community.
One of the eight men who were jailed, Jacob Gingerich, told reporters that, “We try to lead a simple, plain life. Putting that orange triangle on the back of our buggy would not leave our buggies plain anymore.”
Other Amish men are also standing trial in the various states on the same issue. Some states like New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania allow the Amish community to ride on the road without the triangle citing freedom of religion as the basis for the decision.
- Amish men jailed in the orange triangle row - Sep 17, 2011
- FBI arrests 7 in Amish beard cutting case - Nov 23, 2011
- Amish report staggering growth in Midwest - Aug 08, 2012
- Drunken Oz man driving golf buggy charged with drink driving! - Jun 05, 2010
- Colour and ceremony as President Pranab takes office (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Husain's special relationship with Hyderabad - Jun 09, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes the U.S. East Coast, widely felt - Aug 24, 2011
- Michigan Christian militia group members charged with conspiring to kill police officers - Mar 30, 2010
- Winter storm warning in Ohio Valley and surrounding states - Feb 16, 2010
- 'Take horse-drawn carriages off Mumbai roads' - Oct 03, 2011
- Tradition meets pomp as Pranab sworn in president (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Utah 'Listgate' Scandal Under Investigation - Jul 21, 2010
- Using math to alleviate traffic jams - Jan 20, 2011
- Study reveals that Men are the quickest to say 'I Love You' in a relationship - Oct 28, 2011
- Pranksters hack road signs in Kentucky to warn people about zombies - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: amish community, buggies, buggy, freedom of religion, gingerich, horse drawn cart, jacob, jail term, last september, law enforcement officials, orange triangle, pennsylvania, reflective triangles, religious beliefs