6 kgs of iron removed from Indian manNovember 29th, 2011 - 9:06 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New Delhi, Nov 29 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A farmer in India consumed 6kg of iron and it did cost him his life in the end. Surgeons had to carry out a procedure on Kamleshwar Singh to remove all the metals from his belly but he did not survive the procedure. Among the contents in his stomach were 196 iron pellets, 431 coins and three keys.
Singh lived with his family but they were not aware of his bizarre appetite for iron. They only got to know about it when he started complaining about stomach pains. Doctors say they were shocked when they opened his belly.
Bhojram Dewangan of the Shreesti Institute of Medical Science where the procedure was carried out told reporters that, “All the iron objects were lying at the base of his stomach. When we started the surgery, we thought we would find a few items. But as we progressed, we were amazed to find such a huge number of coins and pellets had passed into his intestines. Signs of chronic ulceration were apparent in the stomach.”
Singh had history of psychiatric problems and the family says that might have caused him to take the unusual ‘diet.’
Singh’s widow Kusumi told reporters that her husband complained of frequent stomach aches and other pains but never told them what he had been doing. The pains forced Singh to retire as a farmer at the latter part of his years.
- Peter Jackson Undergoes Surgery for Perforated Ulcer - Jan 28, 2011
- Students hospitalised after consuming iron pills - Sep 20, 2011
- Assam plans food supplement for high school girls - May 24, 2012
- Stomach that! 421 coins, bolts found in man's belly - Nov 28, 2011
- Iron rods removed from youth's stomach - Jan 03, 2011
- Katrina Kaif's painful belly dancing in Farah Khan's Tees Maar Khan - Aug 23, 2010
- Tummy out after pain killers? Kolkata scientists find a cure - Aug 29, 2012
- Sir Peter Jackson recovering after surgery - Jan 30, 2011
- Pakistani girl undergoes sex change operation - Dec 25, 2010
- Maoist dies hours after arrest in Jharkhand - Jan 15, 2012
- Peter Andre rushed to hospital - Nov 27, 2010
- Man loses memory, finds kidney missing - Feb 26, 2012
- 40 students fall ill in Pakistan - Mar 03, 2012
- Kasab suffering from stomach ulcers - Jun 25, 2009
- Peter Jackson hospitalized with stomach ulcer - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: appetite, chronic ulceration, coins, diet, doctors, India, indian man, intestines, iron objects, iron pellets, kamleshwar, kgs, medical science, metals, New Delhi, psychiatric problems, signs, stomach pains, three keys