Why women win which side of bed to sleep?October 19th, 2011 - 9:11 am ICT by IANS
London, Oct 19 (IANS) Ever wondered why women are found to be calling the shots when it comes to deciding which side of the bed to sleep on?
A survey carried out for bed manufacturer Rest Assured has found that to get a good night’s sleep, barely one in 10 men insists on his preferred side. And while a quarter of couples disagree over sleeping arrangements, the woman nearly always gets her way, the Daily Express reported.
Experts say that by allowing them such a preference, they are actually acting instinctively to “protect” their womenfolk in situations where they feel vulnerable.
Reasons for women choosing one side of the bed over the other range from wanting to avoid their sleeping partner breathing on them to wanting the man to sleep nearest to the door so he can confront any burglars.
According to psychologist Donna Dawson, who specialises in personality, behaviour and relationships, men are naturally designed to want to protect their female partner, “that means, more often than not, they will allow her to call the shots over ‘disputed territories’ like preference for a certain side of the bed.
“Women are far more likely to insist on things going their way than a man too. Men are generally happy to adapt.
“There are lots of reasons why a woman prefers a certain side of the bed - being furthest from the door and danger; being closest to the door so she can deal with a crying baby; wanting to be nearer the window for fresher air.
“The underlying message is women wear the trousers in the bedroom and men generally don’t put up much of a fight when it comes to bedroom-related disputes.”
- A third of women dislike cuddling - Nov 05, 2011
- Sex therapist says Oz men struggle with rejection in bedroom - Mar 26, 2011
- Your lingerie colour reveals the kind of lover you are - Oct 14, 2010
- Snoring provokes couples to sleep apart! - Nov 08, 2010
- For happiness, sleep on your bed's left side - Dec 24, 2011
- Six out of 10 Brit women use bribery to get partners to do their bit - Mar 11, 2011
- Women 'get drunk before having sex because they lack confidence' - Mar 13, 2011
- Vacuuming gives an insight into a person's sexual prowess! - Apr 08, 2010
- Ex-IAF staffer shot dead, wife injured - Jan 19, 2012
- Women over 50 prefer old-fashioned romance - Dec 29, 2010
- Secret to the perfect relationship - have four lovers! - Nov 29, 2009
- Couples fight 167 times a year - Apr 26, 2012
- Overworked Brits prefer Facebooking to sex - Apr 22, 2010
- Women find men with smouldering eyes 'shifty' - May 13, 2012
- British Muslim women don't mind being second wives - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: bed manufacturer, burglars, calling the shots, couples, crying baby, daily express, dawson, disputed territories, female partner, london, personality, preference, psychologist, relationships, sleep, sleeping arrangements, sleeping partner, trousers, womenfolk