Who is Alice Waters?March 16th, 2009 - 9:45 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Alice Waters, the executive Chef and owner of Chez Panisse, opened in 1971. Chez Panisse opened in 1980 with an open kitchen, a wood-burning pizza oven, and an a la carte menu.
Alice Water, born in Chatham, New Jersey on April 28, 1944. A graduate from the University of California at Berkeley in 1967 with a degree in French Cultural Studies, and trained at the Montessori School in London before spending a seminal year traveling in France.
She is the founder and the director of the Chez Panisse Foundation, an International Governor of Slow Food, a Visiting Dean at the French Culinary Institute, an Honorary Trustee of the American Center for Food, Wine and the Arts in Napa, and Board Member of the San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmers Market.
Alice is also an author and a co-author of eight books, including Chez Panisse Vegetables, Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook, Fanny at Chez Panisse, a storybook and cookbook for children. Recently, the encyclopedic Chez Panisse Fruit.
Chez Panisse restaurant was named Best Restaurant in the States by the Gourmet magazine in 2001. Alice has received numerous awards, including the Bon Appetit magazine’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2000 and the James Beard Humanitarian Award in 1997. Also named the Best Chef in America by the James Beard Foundation in 1992 and Cuisine et Vins de France listed her as one of the ten best chefs in the world in 1986.
Alice Waters on shows also included Roast Duck with Cherries, Fig and Grape Salad with Pancetta-Wrapped Crostini, Peach Shortcake, Avocado, Grapefruit, and Curly Endive Salad with Citrus Dressing, Winter Squash, Chanterelle and Red Wine Panade and Apple Huckleberry Tart.
- What was on Manmohan Singh's plate at White House? - Nov 15, 2008
- Alice Waters's Fight for Better Food - Mar 16, 2009
- Alice Waters: Trendsetter for relishing food - Jun 15, 2009
- 'Modernist Cuisine' - the world's heaviest recipe book? - Mar 14, 2011
- Delhi samples exotic flavours of Ecuador (With Image) - Oct 17, 2010
- Osteria: Hearty Italian Fare from Rick Tramonto's Kitchen - Oct 29, 2008
- Spaniard named chef of the year in US - May 11, 2011
- Switch to olive oil for better health: Cookery expert Nita Mehta (With Image) - Jan 08, 2012
- Spit roasts to kofta, tuck into festive feasts in Delhi - Dec 24, 2010
- 'No secrets in kitchen' is celebrity Indian chef's mantra - May 08, 2012
- Not all pasta is pasta: Italian chef - Jun 24, 2011
- Rick Bayless On Top Chefs - Aug 06, 2009
- Noted Chef Jose Andres All Set To Open Restaurants In Las Vegas - May 03, 2010
- Hell's Kitchen: Who Goes Home? - Dec 02, 2010
- Strawberry Shortcake Now Comes As A Game Launched By Apple - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: alice waters, bon appetit magazine, california at berkeley, chatham new jersey, chez panisse cafe, chez panisse restaurant, citrus dressing, cuisine et vins, cuisine et vins de france, endive salad, ferry plaza farmers, ferry plaza farmers market, french culinary institute, james beard foundation, lifetime achievement award, panisse vegetables, san francisco ferry, university of california at berkeley, vins de france, wood burning pizza oven