Wendell Rodricks impresses with vibrant men’s week debutAugust 29th, 2010 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) It might be his debut menswear collection, but Goa-based designer Wendell Rodricks’s simple yet vibrant clothes managed to leave an impression on the concluding day of the Van Heusen India Men’s Week (VHIMW) Sunday.
Titled “Tango Argentina”, Rodricks’ collection sought inspiration from the Gauchos cowboys on Argentina’s pampas.
“I had gone on a holiday to South America earlier this year where I saw these cowboys which inspired my collection. It has a lot of Latino-South American flavour with a mix of masculinity and feminism. Even women can buy them,” Rodricks said after the show.
With his first menswear collection, Rodricks, who has 22 years of experience as a designer, admitted he was nervous.
“I was very nervous about how the collection would fare but I am happy with the way it has turned out and people have appreciated it,” he added.
His clothes boast of sheer tones and layered looks, blended with sharp silhouettes. The collection included a range of draped kurta shirts, cardigan style shirts, reversible trousers, waistcoats, velvet patterned Nehru coats and even a wrinkled sherwani.
The models walked the ramp with flirtatious look in their eyes, which Rodricks says is something usually seen in the eyes of Argentinians.
While the collection included a lot of handwoven fabrics, crepes, linens, wools, silk and satins. The colour palette included whites, reds and blacks.
- Rohit Bal to showcase at Men's week finale - Aug 12, 2010
- Troy Costa goes for black ink theme for VHIMW - Aug 31, 2011
- Diminish boundaries, generate business: Men's fashion week's motto - Aug 26, 2010
- Accessories to dominate Sanchita's menswear line - Aug 29, 2011
- 20 years on, being gay will be a non-issue: Wendell Rodricks - Sep 19, 2012
- 17 designers to showcase couture at men's fashion week - Aug 07, 2010
- Wendell Rodricks splashes water on the LFW ramp - Aug 21, 2011
- Goa was birthplace of Indo-Western garments: Wendell Rodricks (Interview, With Image) - Jan 27, 2012
- 17 brands to participate in India Mens Week - Aug 21, 2011
- Celebrities? Who knows? But trends for sure at men's week (Curtainraiser) - Sep 01, 2011
- Irrfan Khan walks ramp for Rohit-Abhishek at mens week - Sep 04, 2011
- Jayasuriya turns showstopper at Mumbai fashion show - Jan 10, 2010
- Van Heusen's men's week to start Sep 2 - Jul 14, 2011
- Traditional fabrics turn sensual in Tahiliani's show - Sep 03, 2011
- Goa tourism gives up hope on Wendell Rodricks' designs - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: 22 years, american flavour, argentinians, cardigan, colour palette, cowboys, feminism, gauchos, goa, handwoven fabrics, kurta shirts, masculinity, menswear collection, nehru, sherwani, silhouettes, style shirts, tango argentina, van heusen, wendell rodricks