Watching sexy movie scenes, kids turn promiscuousJuly 18th, 2012 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, July 18 (IANS) A US study has suggested watching sex scenes in movies could turn children more sexually active from a younger age.
The research, published in Psychological Science, which followed a total of 1,228 children over a period of six years, found teenagers watching sex scenes have an increased curiosity for sex, Daily Mail reported.
They feel curiosity for sex whether it is Leonardo Dicaprio and Kate Winslet making love on the Titanic or Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart cuddling in bed on their vampire honeymoon in “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn”, it said.
According to researcher Ross O’Hara from the University of Missouri, watching sex on screen could lead to teenagers having more sex with more partners and without using condoms.
The scenes can “fundamentally influence a teenager’s personality” and make them more prone to taking risks, he said.
O’Hara said: “Adolescents who are exposed to more sexual content in movies start having sex at younger ages, have more sexual partners and are less likely to use condoms with casual sexual partners.”
The researcher said much research has shown that adolescents’ sexual attitudes and behaviours were influenced by media.
Psychologists studied children aged 12 to 14 and reviewed their sexual behaviour six years on.
- Men reach orgasm after vaginal intercourse while women with oral sex - Oct 04, 2010
- Girls likelier to have unprotected first sexual encounter than boys: Study - Nov 09, 2010
- Trendy moms wish to look like their daughters - Jul 27, 2011
- Teaching ban on 'lesbian' Brit teacher who sent ex-colleague sexual notes, roses - Jan 30, 2011
- Children aged five to be taught sex in Britain - Jun 18, 2010
- Alcohol, drug abuse test can predict risky teenage sexual behaviour - Oct 19, 2009
- Winslet's fears over nude scene in 'Titanic 3D' - Mar 29, 2012
- Partner controlling behaviors linked to relationship violence - Apr 05, 2011
- Media exposure prompts risky behaviour - Mar 08, 2011
- Psychiatric disorders linked to risky sexual behaviour in adolescents - Sep 29, 2010
- New study negates stereotype image of adolescent sex offenders - Jul 25, 2010
- Women experience best sex as they approach 40 - Jul 07, 2010
- 11-year-olds in US can now order condoms via mail - Apr 15, 2011
- Teens dont use condoms due to partner disapproval, fear of less sexual pleasure - Sep 10, 2008
- Cuddling vital for long-term happiness among couples - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: breaking dawn, cuddling, daily mail, kate winslet, kristen stewart, leonardo dicaprio, leonardo dicaprio and kate winslet, making love, media psychologists, o hara, promiscuous, psychological science, robert pattinson, sex scenes in movies, sexual attitudes, sexual behaviour, sexual content, sexual partners, sexy movie scenes, watching sex