War artefacts from 712 AD on display in MumbaiSeptember 21st, 2012 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 21 (IANS) An exhibition of over 1,000 items on warfare and related antiques has been opened in Mumbai. The exhibition has been organised by the Lodha Foundation.
Swords, spears, bow and arrows, war musical instruments, tiger claws (used by Shivaji), shields, British and Portuguese guns have been sourced from the private collections of Kolhapur-based Girish Laxman Jadhav and displayed at Gilderlane School compound at Grant Road in south Mumbai.
“I had started collecting them as a hobby but later realising the historic legacy. I felt this collection can speak about the culture of Maharashtra and India and will inspire every citizen,” Jadhav said.
The antiques date back from 712 AD and take through various phases and kingdoms which shaped Indian history till 1947.
The exhibition was inaugurated by Nitin Gadkari, President of Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP). Also present at the event were Leader of Opposition in the Maharashtra Legislative Council Vinod Tawade and Lodha Foundation founder Mangal Prabhat Lodha.
The display of war antiques was aimed to take one back to the period of wars between Maratha warrior Chhatrapati Shivaji and the Mughal Empire.
“This exhibition is a mirror of India’s glorious history. When it displays bravery and nationalism, it also inspires the generations. I congratulate Shri Lodha for putting up this breathtaking exhibition,” Gadkari said after the inauguration.
The foundation has also installed an idol of Lord Ganesha on a stage close to the venue, the surroundings depicting the replica of ancient caves and key historical places of India.
Signifying the key historical places and to pay homage to them, soil has been brought from several historical places including Haldi Ghati, Pratap Garh, Panipat and Jhansi.
“Lokmanya Tilak started the Ganesh festival with the aim of bringing people together and fighting for the freedom. Today, the same situation has come where we need to make people realise about the history of our country which is full of the stories of bravery. We need to bring the same energy back and unite to fight all evil forces to save not only our country but also mankind,” Lodha said.
- Sotheby's to celebrate 25 years of designers Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla (With Image) - Jul 17, 2012
- Congress, NCP workers' clash blocks highway - Nov 07, 2011
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Memories of two Cricket World Cup wins come alive at special gallery - Jan 03, 2012
- Maharashtra BJP leader gets a taste of five-star arrogance - Nov 20, 2010
- Uddhav Thackeray hits out at Rahul Gandhi, Ajit Pawar - Jun 10, 2011
- New Tilak memorial planned in Mumbai - Aug 02, 2011
- Kolkata family exhibits musical instruments of British Raj era - Feb 08, 2010
- BJP demands CBI probe into Mumbai scribe's murder - Jul 26, 2012
- Heavy showers disrupt Konkan rail traffic (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,