US confirms its diverting two-thirds of anti-terror Pak aid to upgrading F-16sJuly 25th, 2008 - 12:08 pm ICT by ANI
Washington , July 25 (ANI): Washington has reportedly confirmed that it was willing to divert two-third of anti-terror funds to Pakistan to financing up-gradation of F-16 fighter jets.
The F-16s … are used in counter-terrorism operations. We made them available to [ Pakistan ] and they need to be maintained, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said while addressing reporters.
Modernisation of Pakistan s fleet of ageing F-16s is estimated to cost around 891 million dollars that was to be paid out of Pakistan s national funds. Because of the current economic crunch, Islamabad had asked the Bush administration to divert 226 million dollars from the overall military aid programme with Pakistan in finance year 2008 and 140 million dollars in finance year 2009, making up the balance from its own resources.
The total F-16 package from the days the first aircraft were acquired to the last ones Pakistan is purchasing carries a cost of three billion dollars.
The US has so far only allowed 108 million dollars to be diverted out of the FMF and if the other two amounts that Pakistan seeks for 2008 and 2009 come through, the total amount divertible to the F-16 purchase account would come to 474 million dollars.
Pakistan s purchase of the jet fighter aircraft appeared to be going through smoothly so far. (ANI)
- Pakistan gets new fighter planes from US - Feb 07, 2012
- Pakistan receives three US F-16 aircraft - Oct 30, 2010
- Pakistan gets six more F-16 aircraft - Nov 20, 2010
- US releases another 288 mln dollars for Pak as CSF reimbursements - May 27, 2010
- Pakistan gets upgraded F-16s from Turkey - Feb 25, 2012
- Pakistan wants to buy more F-16 fighter jets - Mar 10, 2011
- Pakistani fighter jet crashes - Aug 16, 2011
- US sends $656 mn to Pakistan for fighting terrorism - May 04, 2010
- Former fighter pilot named Canadian military chief - Aug 28, 2012
- France's Dassault wins India's $10.4 bn combat jet deal (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- France's Dassault wins India's $10.4bn warplane deal (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- PAF inducts three F-16s received from US in its fleet - Jun 27, 2010
- Pakistani woman fighter pilot hurt in crash (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- US sold $4.5 bn worth arms to Pakistan in three years: Report - Sep 17, 2009
- Iraq to buy 18 F-16s from US - Sep 27, 2011
Tags: ageing, billion dollars, bush administration, counter terrorism, economic crunch, fighter aircraft, fighter jets, fleet, fmf, gradation, islamabad, jet fighter, military aid, million dollars, own resources, pakistan, spokeswoman dana perino, two thirds, white house spokeswoman, white house spokeswoman dana perino