Urban Dictionary Names’ Definitons Catching On In FacebookFebruary 5th, 2010 - 7:47 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Feb 5, (THAINDIAN NEWS) This week has been declared the Urban Dictionary Week on Facebook, and that is not at all surprising, for Urban Dictionary has become one of the hottest things on Facebook. Urban Dictionary is a unique website that gives the meanings of names. Not as in real meanings, means it does not trace the etymology of the names. So if one is looking for the true meaning of one’s name, they would be likely to be in for a disappointment.
What the site does is, if a particular name is typed in within the search bar at the top of the page, the site would produce a string of meanings that deal not so much with the name, but the overall character and general attitude of the person. Of course, the meanings are not always pleasant, and can range from risque to raunchy. Of course, this might be the fact that would explain its connection with, and popularity in Facebook.
Most commonly, the definitions returned by the website Urban Dictionary are used by the Facebook users to update their profiles. It is easily understandable as to why this rage has caught on so fast. If the site returns some good stuff about any name, it can be pasted as the status message, that is, if the search returns something good and flattering.
However, that is more often not the case. Many a times, the search results turn out to be something that is really rude, and no one would be updating their status with something like that. Often, the definitions, which are also submitted by users, are disgusting passages.
- Look up the meaning of your name on Urban Dictionary - Feb 05, 2010
- Now, website that makes Facebook users' life an 'Openbook' - May 20, 2010
- Mark Zuckerberg's Own Facebook Fan Site Got Hacked - Jan 27, 2011
- Facebook To Permit The Advertisers To Republish The Users' Posts - Jan 27, 2011
- Facebook Application Will Now Be Improved - Oct 09, 2010
- Twitter wants to compete with the social networking site Facebook with its new update - Sep 17, 2010
- Cartoonist maps world of social networking - Oct 20, 2010
- Google now restricts Facebook access to Gmail contacts - Nov 06, 2010
- A third of men on Facebook provoke others - Apr 03, 2012
- Pregnant woman can now announce status on Facebook - Jul 29, 2011
- Facebook, gadgets galore... Indian children take to 'multi-tasking' - Sep 26, 2010
- New Facebook features not so appealing, says poll - Oct 22, 2011
- 'Concerned' UK dad develops world's first Facebook bully alert - Apr 08, 2011
- Rockmelt: A Social Browser Emerges In The Web - Nov 09, 2010
- Facebook dismisses shutting down rumors - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: attitude, definitions, dey, disappointment, etymology, facebook, good stuff, madhuri, meanings of names, passages, popularity, profiles, rage, risque, search bar, status message, true meaning, urban dictionary