Unesco to help Punjab formulate cultural policySeptember 27th, 2011 - 12:15 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 27 (IANS) Unesco will help the Punjab government formulate its cultural and heritage policy, an official said Tuesday.
There is great potential to highlight the cultural heritage of Punjab, state Chief Secretary S.C. Agrawal said.
“The government is constituting a state level committee to chalk out a comprehensive policy to preserve as well as project its rich culture and heritage not only in India but also abroad,” Agarwal said.
Unesco and Punjab have signed a memorandum of understanding to formulate the cultural and heritage policy.
A special team from Unesco would provide technical help to Punjab for its proposed policy and would review the project after every three months, Unesco expert Richard A. Engelhardt said.
Known as the food grain state of India, Punjab has a rich cultural past as it was the gateway to the rest of India for hundreds of years.
Home state to the Sikh religion and its holiest shrine, ‘Harmandir Sahib’, popularly known as the Golden Temple, in Amritsar, Punjab has several palaces and forts in Patiala, Kapurthala, Amritsar and other places.
- Punjab, Unesco to join hands for cultural preservation - Feb 26, 2011
- 'Virasat-e-Khalsa' opened at Anandpur Sahib - Nov 25, 2011
- PM likely to inaugurate Sikh monument next month - Oct 08, 2011
- PM cancels Punjab trip, SGPC and Akalis upset - Nov 03, 2011
- Badal to inaugurate Khalsa centre - Nov 04, 2011
- When PM's no-show becomes an election issue (Punjab Newsletter) - Nov 05, 2011
- Hit by delays, Sikh heritage project gets another deadline - Dec 06, 2010
- Amritsar to be a major tourist destination - Jul 13, 2009
- Badal's wife passes away, cremation Wednesday (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- 'Artisan haats' to come up in Punjab - Jul 21, 2009
- Railways to launch train for Sikh shrines - Feb 03, 2012
- Thousands attend Surinder Badal's cremation - May 25, 2011
- Perturbed Sikh diaspora request Obama not to call off Amritsar visit - Oct 20, 2010
- Obama's Golden Temple visit: Punjab seeks PM's help - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: agrawal, chief secretary, cultural heritage, engelhardt, food grain, forts, golden temple, great potential, heritage policy, hundreds of years, memorandum of understanding, palaces, punjab government, rich culture, sikh religion, state chief, state of india, technical help, three months, unesco