Two-day Africa festival opens in capital (With image)June 18th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) A two-day festival of African culture opened at the Kamani Auditorium in the capital Monday with music and dance performances by troupes from Zambia, the Seychelles and Ghana.
The festival has been brought to India by the Indian Council For Cultural Relations in collaboration with the governments of the participating countries.
The six countries featuring in the festival are Zambia, the Seychelles, Ghana, Senegal, Sudan and Mali. Troupes from the latter three countries will perform on Tuesday.
The festival, which aims to strengthen cultural cooperation between the African continent and India is an effort by this country to partner and support the continent in its resurgence through mutual understanding, ICCR director general Suresh Goel said.
Apart from performing in the capital, the troupes will perform in Jammu, Varanasi, Ahmedabad, Chandigarh and Haridwar.
- India to host Africa Festival (With Image) - Jun 06, 2012
- India bonds with Africa with culture bouquet, fusion (With image) - Jun 19, 2012
- 'India intensifying academic collaborations in Africa' - Jun 26, 2012
- Three-day Africa Festival opens in capital - May 19, 2010
- Kathak by Chinese, kathakali by German at global fest (With Images) - Jul 23, 2010
- Euphoria engulfs Zambia after AFCON triumph - Feb 13, 2012
- Feast of Buddhist arts, culture in Delhi from Monday - Nov 24, 2011
- 15 south Asian bands to rock Delhi - Nov 29, 2011
- Afghan theatre group to stage Shakespeare's 'Comedy of Errors' - May 22, 2012
- Thumri fest to bring veterans to capital - Aug 17, 2012
- Unique performance explores man's existence in Kaliyug - Mar 27, 2012
- Zambia moves to fourth position in African football - Feb 16, 2012
- Latino dance-music fiesta to enthrall Delhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Africa to offer cultural bouquet in capital May 18-20 - May 13, 2010
- Africa to showcase its traditional performing arts in India (Lead) - May 13, 2010
Tags: africa festival, african continent, african culture, asiannews, chandigarh, cultural cooperation, dance performances, director general, goel, haridwar, indo, mch, music and dance, mutual understanding, New Delhi, resurgence, seychelles, suresh, varanasi, vm