Troupe from Tripura, Manipur to perform in GermanySeptember 5th, 2012 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Sep 5 (IANS) A troupe from India’s two northeastern states - Tripura and Manipur - will perform in Germany to celebrate the 60th anniversary of diplomatic relations between that country and India, an official said here Wednesday.
The group from Tripura Puppet Theatre and Manipuri Folk Music will perform in Berlin, Hamburg, Dresden, Erlangen and other German cities Sep 7-Oct 7, an official from Tripura information and cultural affairs department told IANS.
“The Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) is organising the cultural programmes,” the official said.
The ICCR was founded in 1950 by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, independent India’s first education minister.
The council helps formulate and implement policies pertaining to India’s external cultural relations, to foster mutual understanding between India and other countries and to promote cultural exchanges with other people.
The leader of 10-member Tripura Puppet Theatre team, Prabhitangshu Das, said: “We will perform a drama using the art of puppetry. It will be based on Nobel laureate poet Rabindranath Tagore’s masterpiece short story “Bisarjan” (sacrifice).”
“Puppetry has been one of the most ancient forms of entertainment in India. It has been an effective visual art to convey relevant messages to the society,” Das told IANS.
He said the platform would make people aware about the art of puppetry, which was facing threat from cinema, television and other entertainment media.
- Global children performing arts fest begins in Delhi - Dec 08, 2011
- Obamas' India experience to be showcased at Maximum India fest - Nov 15, 2010
- India, Pakistan likely to sign culture pact - Apr 16, 2012
- Festival brings Iran, Afghan puppet traditions to India (With Images) - Feb 02, 2012
- Afghan theatre group to stage Shakespeare's 'Comedy of Errors' - May 22, 2012
- Indo-Bangla celebrations to mark Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - Apr 07, 2012
- Feast of Buddhist arts, culture in Delhi from Monday - Nov 24, 2011
- Afghan theatre group to stage Shakespeare's 'Comedy of Errors' (With Image) - May 20, 2012
- Focus on Indian folk at Sangeet Natak Akademi festival - Jul 27, 2011
- Latino dance-music fiesta to enthrall Delhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Tagore's 'Chitra' holds audiences spellbound in Trinidad and Tobago - Dec 03, 2011
- ICCR to spread northeast India's culture worldwide - Jul 23, 2010
- Tagore culture carnival keeps capital busy - May 07, 2011
- Two-day Africa festival opens in capital (With image) - Jun 18, 2012
- Indian cultural fest enthrals Dhaka - Nov 28, 2010
Tags: 60th anniversary, 7 oct, abul kalam, agartala, art of puppetry, berlin hamburg, cultural affairs department, cultural exchanges, diplomatic relations, education minister, forms of entertainment, german cities, independent india, manipur, mutual understanding, nobel laureate, northeastern states, puppet theatre, rabindranath tagore, relevant messages