Trends don’t work, says JJ ValayaAugust 9th, 2012 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) Ace designer J.J. Valaya doesn’t believe in the concept of trends. He says each person should create his or her own fashion identity.
“I don’t believe in trends. My personal opinion is that trends don’t work. Just wear something, stand in front of the mirror and just be honest to yourself. If it works for you, it’s trendy enough,” Valaya told IANS.
“There are always some basic trends but by and large you don’t have to be very fashion conscious,” he added.
The veteran designer launched a new initiative, JJ Valaya Luxury Weddings, a four-day wedding exposition here Thursday. He has collaborated with Fashion One International to offer specialised services by companies like Ferns n Petals, The Entertainment Design Co., Tamarai Luxury Catering, The Badal-Raja Company and Gitanjali Jewellery.
After Tarun Tahiliani, Valaya is the second Indian designer to start an exposition of this nature. He has his reasons.
“When you think of top Indian wedding designers, four or five popular names come to your mind, who have been handling the market for a while. So something like this becomes a natural extension for us.
“This is something which is second skin, since we deal with brides and grooms in family all the time. There has been a lot of enquiry to give creative direction to weddings. So we came upon with this idea,” he said.
Vijay Singh, managing director, Fashion One International, said: “The purpose of coming together for JJ Valaya Luxury Weddings is to establish a credible design platform for sophisticated and bespoke wedding concepts.”
Valaya, who showcased his collection “The Azark” at the opening day Delhi Couture Week Wednesday night, says the purpose behind JJ Valaya Luxury Weddings is to cater to the India’s big fat weddings.
“This is open to potential wedding clients. When we start working with customers, then every wedding will be designed exclusively. Our endeavour is not take (organise) tons of weddings. We just want to do five to six top weddings of the country and make them absolutely fabulous and mind blowing,” he said.
- Embroidery, motifs dominate JJ Valaya's couture line (With Image) - Aug 09, 2012
- Make your cult in bridal wear: Tarun Tahiliani - Jul 25, 2012
- Tarun Tahiliani enters the tech space - Jul 18, 2012
- 11 designers to participate in India Bridal Fashion Week (With Images) - Aug 28, 2012
- JJ Valaya completes 20 years, rolls out vintage tour (With Images) - Apr 19, 2012
- Too many fashion weeks localising industry: Suneet Varma (Interview) - Oct 05, 2010
- Tarun Tahiliani Brings Luxury Brands To Bridal Couture - Jun 04, 2010
- Oprah asked for traditional sari: Tarun Tahiliani (With Image) - Jan 19, 2012
- Sonakshi walks ramp for J.J. Valaya at LFW - Mar 06, 2012
- JJ Valaya is WIFW 2012 finale designer - Feb 02, 2012
- FDCI forms new board, Sethi remains president - Mar 01, 2011
- Designers pen fashion bibles; legacy for younger lot - Jul 20, 2012
- Tahiliani to reprise bridal couture extravaganza - Jun 03, 2010
- WIFW spells business, designers ask for more (Review) - Oct 28, 2010
- I've fused history, art, fashion in new project: J.J. Valaya (Interview) - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: badal, brides and grooms, couture, creative direction, design co, design platform, ferns, indian wedding, j j valaya, jj valaya, opening day, personal opinion, petals, second skin, specialised services, tamarai, veteran designer, vijay singh, wedding clients, wedding designers