Tourism ministry has no data on pilgrims: Kumari Selja (Spot)August 21st, 2012 - 6:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) Union Minister for Culture Kumari Selja Tuesday said the tourism ministry has informed her that it does not compile data on the number of pilgrims or tourists visiting Amarnath, Gangotri, Yamunotri and Kedarnath.
Replying to a query in the Lok Sabha, Kumari Selja said these destinations do not fall under the jurisdiction of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) because they have not been declared monuments of national importance.
However, the tourism ministry provides financial assistance to the state governments (including to Jammu and Kashmir and Uttarakhand where the sites are located) for the development of tourism infrastructure. There are schemes meant for infrastructure development, land revenue generating projects and capacity building that the tourism ministry supports.
- Deploy choppers to rescue people in Uttarakhand: PM - Aug 07, 2012
- Tourism minister launches Clean India Campaign - Jun 19, 2012
- Swaraj asks Shinde to evacuate pilgrims from Uttarakhand - Aug 07, 2012
- Clean India Campaign to kick off from Qutab Minar - Jun 18, 2012
- PM, Sonia assure Uttarakhand all help (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Major push to tourism planned - Aug 16, 2012
- Begumpuri mosque to serve as new conservation model: Selja - Nov 11, 2011
- ASI urged to launch heritage awareness campaign - May 27, 2011
- Rain kills six in Uttarakhand, pilgrimage halted - Aug 04, 2012
- Government committed to promoting sustainable tourism: Minister - Jul 27, 2010
- Holistic understanding of heritage conservation needed: PM - Dec 20, 2011
- Now, incentives for keeping tourist sites clean - Dec 08, 2009
- Selja takes charge of culture ministry, to focus on ASI - Jan 20, 2011
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
- Rs.26.02 lakh spent on Assam heritage till July - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: archaeological survey of india, capacity building, development of tourism, financial assistance, infrastructure development, jurisdiction, kashmir, kedarnath, Lok Sabha, monuments, New Delhi, pilgrims, state governments, tourism infrastructure, tourism ministry, tourists, union minister, yamunotri