Torrential rains badly affect banana cultivation in AllahabadAugust 11th, 2008 - 9:46 pm ICT by ANI
By Kamna Mathur
Allahabad, Aug. 11 (ANI): Banana lovers in north India may find it hard to get adequate supply of Allahabad bananas, as torrential rains have badly affected the cultivation here.
Bananas from Allahabad have been in high demand in northern parts of the country in the recent years.
But, this year, heavy rains have damaged hundreds of acres of standing banana crops here. And, banana cultivators are facing a tough time.
Banana cultivators are facing a tough time as their farms are still under water.
” 75 percent of the plants have been damaged. Labourers are also not turning up during rains, said Masood Ahmed, Banana Cultivator.
These plants, which are infected with insects, have made the cultivators abandon most of their crop.
“The roots of the crops get dry from inside and the crops become black. Diseases like panama start developing in it,” said Pankaj Shukla, District Magistrate, Allahabad.
Traders from north India have stopped visiting Allahabad from where they used to get good quality of Allahabad-Kaushambi at a good rate.
“Due to rains the cultivation has been affected a lot and the merchants from Delhi have stopped coming here. Most of the trees have fallen and the cultivated stuff is getting rotten,” said Toufeeq, Banana trader.
Cultivators are selling a bunch of bananas at Rs. 150 to the traders. Also the cost of bananas has shot up to rupees 30 per kilogram. (ANI)
- Potatoes hot property in Lahaul's cold deserts - Oct 25, 2011
- Unseasoned rain destroys Orissa's cotton crop - Dec 26, 2010
- Four dead, 540,000 hit by China rains - May 03, 2012
- Heavy rains affect pineapple production in parts of West Bengal - Jul 19, 2010
- Banana crisis hits Kerala (Letter from Kerala) - Jul 14, 2012
- Nine die as torrential rains batter China - Sep 17, 2011
- Rains, floods hit China - Jun 28, 2012
- Muskmelon crop hit by viral disease in Punjab - Apr 28, 2011
- Rain worries Kashmir farmers, but fair weather cometh - Sep 16, 2011
- Heavy monsoon rain kills at least 18 in southeast Pakistan - Aug 13, 2011
- Fickle weather can take juice out of litchi this season - Apr 29, 2012
- 50 dead, 42 missing in China floods - Jun 30, 2012
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Nurpur oranges face bad weather - Dec 04, 2010
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
Tags: adequate supply, allahabad, banana lovers, bananas, crops, cultivators, diseases, district magistrate, heavy rains, insects, kaushambi, labourers, mathur, merchants, north india, panama, plants, roots, rupees, trees