Top signs that reveal if you work in ‘fear-based’ climateJuly 14th, 2010 - 6:30 pm ICT by ANI
New York, July 14 (ANI): Afraid of interacting with your boss or think that you’ll soon be fired? Well, these are signs that you are working in a ‘fear-based’ climate.
And Bloomberg Businessweek has now revealed more such signs to look out for:
1. It’s all about image
You stay late at office or look busy and productive just so that your boss notices you. Another sign of an “all-about-image” office: if you notice that brown-nosers who aren’t necessarily the best at their jobs but who suck up to the managers constantly are getting promoted.
2. Office gossip focuses on employees’ status
If all you can talk about is who’s getting promoted and who’s taking peanuts home, reports The New York Daily News,
3. Suspicion permeates the culture
If people are constantly worried about being lied to or stabbed in the back, or they’re concerned about sharing ideas for fear that another worker will steal them.
4. Metrics are king
When management is obsessed with numbers - and few if any other markers of employee performance - fear likely dominates the office.
5. There are countless rules and procedures
If your employee handbook is loaded with more rules, guidelines and procedures than you can even count, the office culture is likely one of fear. The employer does not trust you to do the right thing, so instead dictates to you how to act.
6. Management frowns on too much chatting with same-level co-workers
They could be worried about you ganging up on the company or comparing notes to see how bad it is to work for the company. And this fear will likely permeate office culture. In an office like this, a few people know a bunch of stuff and the rest know little.
7. Managers use fear to get what they want
Whether through subtle hints and threats or outright announcements (anyone who doesn’t perform will get fired!), if your managers say and do things to instil fear in their employees, you’re in a fear-based office. (ANI)
- How to bring out that social butterfly in you - Nov 21, 2010
- Microblog use hampers work in China: Study - Jun 18, 2012
- Office gossip can get 'slimy weasels' the sack - Jul 05, 2010
- Bosses ruin Christmas parties, say employees - Dec 11, 2010
- Is it time to quit your job? - Feb 08, 2011
- 7 ways your job could shorten your life - Oct 05, 2010
- Bad boss? Here's how to cope - Nov 03, 2010
- Guide for new Brit ministers includes buying Danish pastries for everybody - Feb 07, 2011
- China releases manual on Tibet - Mar 22, 2011
- Holiday Etiquette At Work Can Determine Your Potential - Dec 17, 2010
- How to tell if your boss is a corporate psychopath - Nov 25, 2010
- Nervousness is good, says Pulkit Samrat - Mar 30, 2012
- Men make better bosses than women: British survey - Aug 12, 2010
- Soon, you could 'swipe' your iPhone instead of a credit card! - Jan 27, 2011
- Handbook ready for football fans ahead of Euro 2012 - May 22, 2012
Tags: boss, businessweek, climate, co workers, do the right thing, employee handbook, employee performance, fear, image office, july 14, level co, metrics, new york daily news, office culture, office gossip, peanuts, signs, subtle hints, suspicion, york daily news